Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 35

Thread: Questions??

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Questions??

    Hi there!! Have a few questions that I hope you guys can help me answer. My name is Melissa and I am not an HVAC person but my husband is. I should probably give some background information as to how we came to this situation. We currently live in Illinois and I am a special education teacher. Not sure how many of you know about the state of Illinois' finances...but let's just say they are bad. At the end of this school year I will be RIF'D. My husband lost his job during the recession...went to trade school to learn HVAC and got a job...but it took a while. However, December of 2012 he was laid off due to lack of work. In the area we live in they have recently closed the only maximum security women's prison and with that closure I am sure a lot of jobs will disappear. Recently I read an article that our unemployment rate for our county is 10.7% for February 2013. My husband has been to every HVAC contractor in a 50 mile radius of where we live and keeps being told the same thing....Get out of Illinois! Now my question....Where are the HVAC jobs? We have really been looking at a few places where it we have thought it would be easiest for both of us to find employment. The states are Texas (mainly northern or eastern areas), Oklahoma, Tennessee and Arizona.

    Any opinions on these areas?? What can he look forward to with pay in these areas? What do you think is the best area?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Desert Southwest
    Posts
    666
    I can't really say much about pay but Phoenix and Houston are fairly busy. Recently a mechanical contractor told me if he hired 25 guys he will still be short handed.
    My email is in my profile.
    If you can't fix it with JB Weld, Duct Tape, and Ty Wire it has to be replaced.
    No good deed goes unpunished.
    If you want to take off friday to go fishing then make sure you train your helper right.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Posts
    1,113
    Illinois is a sinking pit of an economy. Go to Texas or Oklahoma. I suggest Texas as the better choice. But I have to warn you way up front. The cost of living in any of those states is much much hirer unless your coming from St. Louis of Chicago. However, Texas has a large HVAC industry and no state taxes from your checks. Some areas like Austin have a locked in price for electricity. I think it's .08wk but don't quote me on that. Be ready for a huge difference in the cost of homes in Texas. The price for a new house iin Illinois is about 15% higher for the same house in Texas. You will have a ton of cost for vehicles in Texas you didn't pay in Illinois likes emissions, tax for bringing it into the state, title change, so on.
    If you're too "open" minded, your brains will fall out.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    185
    The Dallas Fort Worth Metroplex would be a good place to get a job in air conditioning. Austin is a good place to get a job and live but rent is super high and hard to find a place.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    170
    Look for warm areas for this trade. OKC again had the lowest unemployment rate of any large city less than 5% now 21 out of the last 25 months. He will need to get a state licence that should not be an problem if he went to school. Good luck wish you both the best.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    6,966
    the suburbs in the larger cities in Arizona will be good for both of you job wise,especially yourself with the special needs children and younger families moving into those areas with kids being put on that spectrum more then ever before.if he can hook in with a installation service company that is slanted more towards commercial work and bigger tonnages his job will be more secure thru the year summers being longer there...good luck
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    258
    Quote Originally Posted by motherto6kids View Post
    Hi there!! Have a few questions that I hope you guys can help me answer. My name is Melissa and I am not an HVAC person but my husband is. I should probably give some background information as to how we came to this situation. We currently live in Illinois and I am a special education teacher. Not sure how many of you know about the state of Illinois' finances...but let's just say they are bad. At the end of this school year I will be RIF'D. My husband lost his job during the recession...went to trade school to learn HVAC and got a job...but it took a while. However, December of 2012 he was laid off due to lack of work. In the area we live in they have recently closed the only maximum security women's prison and with that closure I am sure a lot of jobs will disappear. Recently I read an article that our unemployment rate for our county is 10.7% for February 2013. My husband has been to every HVAC contractor in a 50 mile radius of where we live and keeps being told the same thing....Get out of Illinois! Now my question....Where are the HVAC jobs? We have really been looking at a few places where it we have thought it would be easiest for both of us to find employment. The states are Texas (mainly northern or eastern areas), Oklahoma, Tennessee and Arizona.

    Any opinions on these areas?? What can he look forward to with pay in these areas? What do you think is the best area?

    Thanks
    Where in Illinois are you? I just moved to the Chicago area from Florida and I make more money, work over 40 hours a week, and have a better quality of life than I did in Florida. I make enough money that I support a family of 4 and my wife stays home with the little ones.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by TheChillerMan View Post
    Where in Illinois are you? I just moved to the Chicago area from Florida and I make more money, work over 40 hours a week, and have a better quality of life than I did in Florida. I make enough money that I support a family of 4 and my wife stays home with the little ones.
    Sounds great. I'm from the central FL area and apparently, were the lowest paid area out of the state (compared to north, west, and south FL) and apparently, work is not as good as it is compared to those places. I wish I had enough experience to take my skills and just leave

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigjoe View Post
    Sounds great. I'm from the central FL area and apparently, were the lowest paid area out of the state (compared to north, west, and south FL) and apparently, work is not as good as it is compared to those places. I wish I had enough experience to take my skills and just leave

    We really considered Florida. I was even offered a teaching job there...but after a lot of careful research and talking with some friends that are teachers there we decided against it.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    123
    have you tried internationally..... There is lots of work in northern Alberta in oil field service....Checkout local 488's website.. I believe they do hire international workers. A lot of it is camp work....your husband can work 14 days in and have 14 days out. this could mean you dont have to move the family.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southeastern Pa
    Posts
    18,563
    Quote Originally Posted by TheChillerMan View Post
    Where in Illinois are you? I just moved to the Chicago area from Florida and I make more money, work over 40 hours a week, and have a better quality of life than I did in Florida. I make enough money that I support a family of 4 and my wife stays home with the little ones.


    ...but you are talking about maybe 5% of the HVAC industry in Illinois, right?
    [Avatar photo from a Florida training accident. Everyone walked away.]
    2 Tim 3:16-17

    RSES CMS, HVAC Electrical Specialist

    AOP Forum Rules:







  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    258
    Quote Originally Posted by timebuilder View Post
    ...but you are talking about maybe 5% of the HVAC industry in Illinois, right?
    I guess. I work for Trane. We're probably the only non-union shop in the Chicagoland area, and we're swamped. I'm working 6-12 hours OT every week. More if I wanted to.

    I guess being union isn't all it's cracked up to be uh?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southeastern Pa
    Posts
    18,563
    Quote Originally Posted by TheChillerMan View Post
    I guess. I work for Trane. We're probably the only non-union shop in the Chicagoland area, and we're swamped. I'm working 6-12 hours OT every week. More if I wanted to.

    I guess being union isn't all it's cracked up to be uh?
    I suppose it's who you are. For you, that's fine. It's good to be in the 5%. I applaud you.

    However, the majority of the commercial retail market segment makes about 50% of what you make. In many parts of the country, having a union employer is how you make decent money. The problem with towns like Philly is when the construction stops, hundreds of union jobs evaporate. It happened a few years ago when they finished Citizens Bank Park and Lincoln Financial Field, just a few short years after the (now) Wachovia Center replaced the Spectrum.

    Some 200 - 250 LU 420 guys are still waiting for another building wave. Unfortunately for them, the guys they were told to vote for have the country being unwilling to build or do much of anything, because they don't know what their costs will be. So, all that private investment money is on the sideline, and there is no longer any public money to start a new wave of schools or other public structures.

    If enough people vote for pro-growth, the industry will benefit. If we continue to vote pro-socialism, we won't. It's that simple.
    [Avatar photo from a Florida training accident. Everyone walked away.]
    2 Tim 3:16-17

    RSES CMS, HVAC Electrical Specialist

    AOP Forum Rules:







Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event