New Yorker OS114 oil boiler replacement

We have a lake cottage in Ohio that we visit mostly on weekends, 1-2 weekends a month. We use it year round.

There is a New Yorker Boiler oil fired boiler, it's mounted outside on a concrete slab. Model is OS114 - rated for outdoor use. About 25-30 years old now. It has been a workhorse but is showing its age and I am planning on what to do next.

I am having trouble finding many outdoor boilers, this was all I could find. Any opinions on these?

http://www.thermodynamicsboiler.com/os_series.htm

Other boiler makers tell me to build a little shed adjacent to the cottage but I'm not convinced I can make it damp proof sufficiently that the mild steel parts won't start rusting immediately.

I really don't have the room to move the boiler indoors. The utility room is already overfilled with mechanicals. If I absolutely had to move it indoors, it would need to be a tankless model of some kind. I'd prefer a tankless electric boiler if such exists, because there is no flue available right now in the utility room.

I keep the thermostat set at about 46 when we are not there. I'd like to go lower but I of course worry that the water in the boiler will freeze. From the exterior wall, the pipes have about 2-3' of run before they enter the boiler. I have them wrapped of course. It has worked well up till now, the boiler is running often enough, so far no damage. With the cost of oil rising, I am tempted to add some antifreeze to the system and try to run it around 40 when not there - thoughts? (Would do this during boiler replacement.)

I have an internet thermostat and crank it from 46 to 70 a few hours before we leave home and its warm when we arrive.

It used to rise the temperature at 7 degrees per hour, last time the HVAC guy came out he said the boiler was set too hot and dialed it back and it now rises 5 degrees per hour, still fast enough for me.

Ideas and suggestions?

Brian

They make electric boilers...... thing is your electric service will more than likely need to be upgraded to handle the added load if you need as much heat as the oil boiler size suggests.

There are also plenty of gas fired high efficiency gas boilers that are light enough they could hang on the outside of the cottage, but you'd still need some form of protection built around it to protect it from the elements.

Antifreeze in the system wouldn't be a bad idea anyhow because you don't live there full time and if the heat were to go off you run the risk of major repair bills to fix broken piping. But antifreeze reduces the efficiency of the boiler because it basically can't absorb heat eas easily as straight water.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

I assume you have a tank type water heater in your utility room? I would install a wall hung combination boiler/on demand water heater. Hang it on the wall and sidewalk vent with PVC. Propane would be your fuel source if natural gas is not available. I would use antifreeze for sure in the system. It can lower your efficiency maybe a few percent at the most.

Quote Originally Posted by firecontrol View Post
    There are also plenty of gas fired high efficiency gas boilers that are light enough they could hang on the outside of the cottage, but you'd still need some form of protection built around it to protect it from the elements.
    This sounds interesting. I assume it would be propane fired (no natural gas available). I could build a cabinet around it, with a PVC exhaust flue sticking out. Cabinet and boiler attached with long screws to the studs (through the wood siding). Being propane, no gelling issues if it sat without firing for a long time.

Yes there is a tank electric water heater in the utility room. If I removed that I could do an on-demand boiler/water heater. Service is definitely not enough, my panel is old and out of space as well. This sounds like the more expensive (though perhaps cleaner looking) of the options.

I would never consider placing a boiler outside the thermal envelope of the home in freezing conditions. If the boiler is off for too long you are looking for trouble. Try this product as an example...http://www.navienamerica.com/Product...ASME%20Series/