Post Likes

INSTALLING NEW AIR COMPRESSOR

I'm upgrading my compressor to a new Campbell Hausfeld 7.5 HP 3 Phase pump and motor and I'm about 6 feet away from my breaker box. The manufacturer recommends a minimum of a 40 amp breaker for this setup. What gauge wire should I use for this short run? If it's relevant, I was previously running a Quincy pump for 30 years with a 5 HP motor on a 30 amp breaker with only 12 gauge wire with no overheating problems or blown breakers.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Doug

Post Likes
    I'd use 8 gauge personally. I don't have the NEC book in front of me but 10 gauge may be sufficient. I'd still use 8 though.
    ## + years in the field never made you a know-it-all This industry is far more diverse than you are

Post Likes
    The good book says 8AWG copper.

Your 30A installation, while it may have worked fine, was technically illegal.

Post Likes
    Thanks to both of you. I will go with 8 AWG. I'm not surprised about the previous wiring. My late father-in-law, a self professed electrician, lead me astray many times I have found out over the years and I am correcting them as I find them.

In a kitchen with my head stuck in an oven
    Post Likes
    I'm being nosey, but since you said three phase, then you're replacing this compressor in a commercial building?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ECtofix View Post
    I'm being nosey, but since you said three phase, then you're replacing this compressor in a commercial building?
    My mistake, I should have specified single phase at the beginning of the post. My apologies.

Doug

Post Likes
    Make sure you use copper wire

Post Likes
    Be sure to include an earth ground ( green or bare ) copper wire . # 10 is legal for the ground on a 40 amp circuit .

God bless
    Wyr