Need advice on system replacement

We bought old house with Trane heat pump with electric auxiliary heat (no gas in the house but line goes in ~75ft from the house). Home size about 4000 sq ft but part (1200 sq ft) covered by second system. Heat pumps are not popular in IL so I can't find the pro. I was told that old system was converted from R22 to R410 but pipes sizing is incorrect; aux heat and coil looks original 1982. Our heater almost died and we are thinking of replacing the whole system - . Maybe it make sense to look at the other options (geothermal system, put gas in the house..)? In the winter electric bills just skyrocket... I'm looking for a pro who can recommend and install the new system based on appropriate sizing calculations.

Thumbs up

You need to determine HEAT LOSS ...
    GUESS 53,000 BTU/ HR at 3'F for 2,800 Square Feet.

A new heat pump versus a 30-year old unit should use about 1/2 the electricity.
    Sounds like you have a mismatched system given the air handler may not have been replaced.

______________ _____________
    Ball Park Estimate
    --- 4 ton might be adequate with properly sized strips (4 kW - qty 4).

An EXPERIENCED
    Mechanical contractor should be available in Chicago.
    ________
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dan sw fl; 04-16-2013 at 06:37 AM.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Dan, thanks for quick replay.
    I think you are right that it is incorrectly sized. It is 5 ton and when it works you can hear some noise on the returns. Based on the stickers air handler TWE060D150B0 was installed in 2003 but it seams that heap pump was replaced in 2007 to XL15 (4TWX5060A) but coil was not (as well as pipes - I was told that it should be 3/4 return but it is 1/2 now). Aux heat is BAYHTR1425 but sometime we are getting -20-25F in Chicagoland and it works almost non-stop. House has cathedral ceilings which contribute to the loss.
    How do I find EXPERIENCED technician and what techniques should be used to define property sized unit?

For some reason I can't open your PDF (getting: you do not have permission to access this page).

I think you need a GOOD service tech. That equipemnt is too new to be having problems. Sounds liek a hack install or some other mechanical problem that can be corrected. The airlfow issue is a different story. That system does seem a little large for you size home. Given the size of your home, going to natrual gas for water heating and space heating might not be a bad idea. Geothermal isn't a bad idea either. Then you can stay all electric but make hot water and heat much more economically. A quality installer is even MORE improtant for geothermal since you add hte water size and ground loops to the equation.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicagoan View Post
    Dan, thanks for quick replay.
    I think you are right that it is incorrectly sized. It is 5 ton and when it works you can hear some noise on the returns.

Based on the stickers air handler TWE060D150B0 was installed in 2003 but it seams that heap pump was replaced in 2007 to XL15 (4TWX5060A) but coil was not
    (as well as pipes - I was told that it should be 3/4 return but it is 1/2 now).

Aux heat is BAYHTR1425 but sometime we are getting -20-25F in Chicagoland and it works almost non-stop.
    House has cathedral ceilings which contribute to the loss.
    How do I find EXPERIENCED technician and what techniques should be used to define property sized unit?

For some reason I can't open your PDF (getting: you do not have permission to access this page).
    I didn't say IT IS sized inappropriately for heating, I mentioned that a well commissioned 4-ton might do the job in the winter for the most part.
    A 5-ton unit for Summer will have lots of issues in trying to maintain a reasonable humidity level ... < 52% R.H..

You probably need a 7/8" refrigerant gas line.

Some techs here may be able to tell you if or how poorly matched a TWE060 air handler might be to the 4TWX5060A.

I would have the refrigerant lines replaced and see what happens to performance and costs next winter.

The BAYHTR1425 is definitely LARGE ENOUGH a$$ $$$ you well know.

IT IS TIME TO REVIEW YOUR ELECTRIC BILLS over the last couple Years ON A MONTHLY BASIS.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities