Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Did I over price

Hey guys first post in forum so bare with me. I'm new to the businesses, just out of school and one of the toughest things I have found is pricing jobs to stay competitive but not cutting my throat. Here is what happened.
    I received a call from a local store and was told by the caller that his compressor had went out on his walk-in. I asked if he needed me to come and check the unit but he said he definitely knew the compressor needed to be replaced. Which told me someone else had checked it and he was price checking. He gave me model number of compressor and my supply house priced it at $$$$ but had to be ordered and would be in Monday because of holiday. After a mark-up of parts and factoring refrigerant for 5 ton unit and other supplies I priced the job at $$$$. He said he would let me know. Of course I have not heard from him, so I was wondering if I over- priced the job or was he trying to find someone to do it that day. FYI it was the beer cooler. I know it sounds stupid, but its eating at me. Got to work to make money but can't work for nothing.

Pricing isn't allowed
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 03-30-2013 at 08:08 AM.

You quoted a job with out even seeing it? I know we've all gotten that call though. Personally I try really hard to get on sight to see the issue or just give them some vague idea of a price.

I'd say you're lucky he didn't take you up on that quote. Probably slightly lower than I would have quoted a compressor change out but I live in a different market so who knows.
    "I've got my Gas Mechanics license"
    "Yea, well my 16yr old daughter has her drivers license, doesn't mean she knows how to drive"

That's a fair price IMO
    Heating/Cooling Services Inc.
    www.andersonhvacservice.com

Typically service should not have total material over 25-30% of the job.

You were a little low if i was pricing it. Remember someone will always do it for less.
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

IMO too low. Pricing jobs without looking at them is not a wise practice.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Always....Always....ALWAYS go look at the job and conclude your own diagnosis. Maybe you could've gotten the compressor back online. You then would've had his business for life.

This specific compressor change out may have been extremely difficult or extremely easy. Either way, that will and should effect the quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Ridley View Post
    Always....Always....ALWAYS go look at the job and conclude your own diagnosis. Maybe you could've gotten the compressor back online. You then would've had his business for life.

This specific compressor change out may have been extremely difficult or extremely easy. Either way, that will and should effect the quote.
    Quote 2k and then find out it needs 15lbs of 22 or copper. No mention of replacing the drier or contactor. Could have singlephased or bad pressure control causing chattering. The reasons for looking at a job before quoting are endless
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

If you have a hard time with rejection this buisiness will be a long hard road. By the way it might have been another hvac hack trying to figure out your pricing. Also; most phone shoppers are looking for the lowest possible price and will end up getting exactly what they pay for. Lets say you got the job and found out you needed x amount more in materials, your decision the spend the money to do it right would be undermined by your failure to include it in the bid, so in the end the cotomer would loose by getting shotty work and your reputaion would be at stake.
    My name is TooCoolforschool and I am a chronic over charger.

Someone will ALWAYS do it for less, ALWAYS. You HAVE to sell yourself ie face to face while looking at what the job entails.

New to business? Just out of school? Bidding jobs blind? Balls of solid rock!!

Good post!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Hooah Tommy knocker. Got the point. Thanks for your service

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast