Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cracked Weil Mclain boiler

I have a Weil Mclain Gold boiler that was installed in 1995. It recently developed a crack in the boiler block.

After talking to a couple of Gentlemen that have been in the HVAC biz for a combined 50+ years I learned that this is not an uncommon occurrence in WM's boilers from that time period. They attributed it to "faulty casting".

Can other HVAC professionals on this forum confirm this?

Thank you.

1. Faulty casting.
    2. Improperly installed.
    3. Improperly maintained.

It was one of those 3 reasons.
    WM stands by their product, they'll send you a new block or section, you pay frieght and install.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Well, it was installed by a professional, I have it serviced every year and as needed by a professional.

Should I expect WM to cover the cost of it other than installation?

Thank you.

WC has always steped up to the plate and havent had any problems with thier warrenti as long as service has been kept up

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by tinknocker service tech View Post
    WC has always steped up to the plate and havent had any problems with thier warrenti as long as service has been kept up
    I hope that's the case here. I'm just concerned being "the little guy" in this. I've been told I need to pay all up front and then WM will reimburse me after inspecting the block. I'm feeling a bit uneasy about that. Why would they give me any benefit if they don't have to?

Thank you

call WC and have them come and look at your problem and take it from there

then you will have you answer up front

What they do is have you buy the block, pay for installation and the contractor returns the block to his supplier. WM will inspect the block and make a determination.

Now in these parts we have really bad water and a lot of people have system leaks which means a lot of makeup water, that brings all the iron and calcium into the boiler, it settles on the bottom of the block, you get a hot spot and then a crack.

That is what we usually see, I have only ever had one section ever covered under warranty.

Almost all of the boiler blocks I have opened had 2" of crap in the bottom.

"I have only ever had one section ever covered under warranty."

That's not good news Bob.

I'd think 12 years is still too short a life for this. Or is it?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody007 View Post
    "I have only ever had one section ever covered under warranty."

That's not good news Bob.

I'd think 12 years is still too short a life for this. Or is it?

Thank you.

You have to remember something though, we have horrible water around here. Also if you have had a lot of make up water from unrepaired leaks, be prepared to be buying that block.

We had a poor sap that had a leak in the slab on a pipe leading to baseboard. We told him to get it fixed, he didn't. Ruined the boiler, sections were completely stopped up with crud. We didn't even ask W-M for warranty. Got it rebuilt but knucklehead didn't fix the leak. Happened again. Sections ruined, pump ruined. Then he finally got the message and had the leak fixed. No further trouble.

Your dealer should be able to tell with a quick look what's going on.

I have replaced several of the early gold series boilers,,,,,they all were cracked near the upper door hinge under te coil. WM as far as I know has bought the block but will not cover labor feeder, releife valve, etc

Quote Originally Posted by RichardsHeating View Post
    I have replaced several of the early gold series boilers,,,,,they all were cracked near the upper door hinge under te coil. WM as far as I know has bought the block but will not cover labor feeder, releife valve, etc
    That's where mine is leaking from! The water is coming out from around the top hinge. So the leak is someplace above that.

As for everything else around the unit it's neat and clean. It sits on the concrete slab in my basement and I have no water problems whatsoever.

Thank you.

I knew you were going to say that. It is a defect and they should replace the block.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast