Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

purchased a home with an existing LennoxSignature series Pure Air system...

Hello everyone, here is my situation. I bought a house in late 2011 and it had an older Lennox sig. series Pure Air already installed. We haven't put a new filter or bulbs or anything in it since we lived here. I just ordered and received the replacement kit with the 4 tubes, the metal/ titanium filter and the 4" thick MERV 10 filter. We don't really have any allergy issues I know of, or mold situation, again, "that I know of", or any weird odors in our house. As soon as we bought it we put a new furnace/A/C coil in as the existing one had a cracked exchanger, and the new one is a Maytag 904641L. I'm not sure if that is the right number, but I don't see much info on it.
    Anyhow, what I was wondering is, if I install the kit and plug the unit in, am I filtering for no reason? It was a bit over $200.00 for the replacement kit, and I only bought it because my wife wanted to try the unit out. Up till now we have had probably a mostly clogged filter in it, and it has been un-plugged.
    The advise I got from a local HVAC guy over the phone was to install the kit and run our furnace fan in manual. He said it is a great unit, and we should change all the components yearly. I was thinking about running it off of a relay so it only turned on when the blower fan was on. I was also wondering if I installed a water tube gauge before and after the filter, if I could go by the differential in HG instead of just changing it by an arbitrary time frame, as the filter itself is rather spendy. any one have any idea what a good HG number would be to go by as a signifier that my filter has reached a point that it should be replaced? Or any opinions on the situation in general? Such as fan in manual vs. the relay idea to save energy? Or whether I should just use it as a normal filter after the bulbs, and metal/ titanium part go out of date?
    Thank you in advance for any insights,
    Chris
    P.S., My guess as to why it is in the house to begin with, is that a previous owner had a dark room in the basement, and I figure it was to deal with the chemical odors from that.

if your family does not have any allergy issues you can just run it with the 4" filter and leave the bulbs and plate out of it.

There's a cheaper filter you can install in place of the MERV 16 Healthy climate.
    It's a MERV 10, it's about half the price and is a direct replacement.
    The Lennox PCO system is among the best on the market, if you can afford it, why not use it?
    The bulbs and catalyst should last a year, but the filter should be changed more frequently.

Indoor air quality is more than oxidizing UV lites and a high quality air filter. The signs of poor air quality not just a lack of allergies. Long term air way health is also an issue. Indoor comfort is also an issue.
    A fresh air change in 4-5 hours when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and renew oxygen is most critical. Maintaining <50%RH is next to avoid mold, dust mites, and other biological growth is also critical. Now comes air filtering and oxidizing VOC in the air.
    You probably get enough fresh air when the wind blows and its cold outside. During calm periods, natural air change declines. Mechanical fresh air ventilation in a modern home is most basic. Supplemental dehumidification is need in green grass climates to maintain <50%RH during low/no cooling loads with adequate high outside dew point fresh air ventilating and moisture from the occupants.
    Waiting for allergies or illness before dealing with indoor air quality is not ideal. Do the best you can afford not the minimum.
    I suggest all occupied homes have controlled fresh air, maintain <50%RH throughout, and maintain a good +merv 10 air filter to keep the systems clean. There may be more as you suggest. Regarding changing your air filter, visual inspection also works, looks dirty, change it.

Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Thank you for the reply syndicated. I actually did purchase the MERV 10. I have decided to put the kit in and run the fan in manual for a while and see what my wife and I think.

There is probably a way to wire the electronic air cleaner off of the circuit board in the furnace, I would suggest having an hvac contractor do this so you don't fry anything.

Thank you also for the reply teddy, I will have to check humidity this summer, and make sure that it stays reasonable.

I live in south eastern South Dakota, and it does tend to get pretty humid here in the summer. I am still curious about the differential idea for determining the longevity of my filter's life, but I don't know if there is even that info available. It would be in the best interests of the manufacturers of the filters, not to release that info, as it would lead to less sales I believe. They offer the "change it yearly" advise to cover the dustiest homes, and if my home isn't that dusty it would be silly to replace such an expensive filter so often.

I should have gotten on top of the situation when I bought the place, since when I took out the existing filter I noticed someone wrote the installation date on the back and it was around 4 years ago. That being said it wasn't really that terrible looking. Although, now that I have my fan running continuously it will probably load up faster.

jtrammel, I actually do industrial maintenance for a living, so I think I can get er' done safely. Funny thing is, my wife had the same concern as you. i had to say to her..." you do realise what I do at work don't you hun"?

Thank you for your concern though. I can imagine the home DIYer getting him or herself in trouble doing this.

Yes, you can set up a manometer on each side of the filter and monitor pressure drop, you would need a total external static pressure reading of the entire system with a clean filter then look at the blower chart for your furnace/air handler, know how many cfms you need to be moving for heat and ac, then figure through static increase of the filter pressure drop when it would need to be changed due to being out of the static pressure range for delivering x amount of cfms for your system. You will probably find that your system is probably not within specs with a clean filter as most duct systems are undersized.

thanx jtrammel, That makes tons of sense. Sounds like some interesting computing to dork out on one of these days before my new filter isn't so new anymore. Looks like I have a little researching ahead of me.

Filters keep equipment clean and have little to no impact on levels of household dust or air quality. The Pure Air uses an extremely restrictive MERV 16 filter which could hurt your system's performance and should be replaced with a MERV 10 filter. Unfortunately your standard box filter won't fit because Lennox wants you to only use their filters. Aprilaire makes a retrofit kit so you can use their MERV 10 filter if it's a better deal. My suggestion is make sure this unit is only on when the blower is operating and then unplug it completely after a year, throw away the lights and grid and just use a MERV 10 filter. The dirty little secret manufactures don't want you to know is that these so called air cleaners are just a scam.

Quote Originally Posted by Stansac View Post
    Filters keep equipment clean and have little to no impact on levels of household dust or air quality. The Pure Air uses an extremely restrictive MERV 16 filter which could hurt your system's performance and should be replaced with a MERV 10 filter. Unfortunately your standard box filter won't fit because Lennox wants you to only use their filters. Aprilaire makes a retrofit kit so you can use their MERV 10 filter if it's a better deal. My suggestion is make sure this unit is only on when the blower is operating and then unplug it completely after a year, throw away the lights and grid and just use a MERV 10 filter. The dirty little secret manufactures don't want you to know is that these so called air cleaners are just a scam.
    This concept works. The scam part is that they work very slow. They will oxidize the pollutants very slowly. It takes 24/7 to reduce the VOCs. A healthy home should get a fresh air change in 4-5 hours. With that kind of air change rate, the UV lite has very little effect.
    An merv 11 filtered air change in 4-5 hours and maintain 35%-55%RH in the space are the basics.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast