Thread: Brand New Goodman Condensor Wont start

Post Likes

Brand New Goodman Condensor Wont start

Hello,

Just found this forum.

I just finished installation of a second 3-ton Goodman 18 SEER Condensing unit.

The first one installed without issues.

The second one is giving me fits. Here's what happens: The unit tries to start, the fan spins briefly, then it sounds like the compressor attempts to start, but doesn't ... then everything stops. This cycle repeats three or four times, then the unit throws a fault code: Red light solid, yellow light flashes four times ... the diagnostics give four possibilities:

1 - Failed run capacitor ... but this is a new unit (hard start kit installed)
    2 - Low voltage ... measures solid
    3 - Too much liquid refridgerant in the compressor ... I just installed this today with a new evaporator and 15-ft lineset ... the refridgerant shipped in the unit should be ideal for this
    4 - Fronzen compressor bearings ... this unit is new ... installed today, Oct 2012 build date.

Any ideas or troubleshooting recommendations?

Sincerely,

Bill N.

Post Likes
    I'm afraid you won't get answers here.. You would need to call a professional to troubleshoot system...... These systems can be very dangerous and could cause death and or property or equipment damage not including voiding your warrants. Good luck my friend.

Post Likes
    Get a pro membership and you may get some answers there...

Post Likes
    put a start kit if that dont do it send it back

Post Likes
    He states hard start already installed.. Again get a pro to check... Did you ohm it out? Check cap.. What does refrigerant pressures do? High pressure switch tripping? Possible low pressure switch tripping? Bad control board/ defrost board.. Heat pump or ac not specified... Many possibilities get someone out there that know what they are doing...

Post Likes
    HVAC_HUSKER

Please review the AOP Forum rules before posting.

Those rules can be found here.

Thanks,

AOPC

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_HUSKER View Post
    He states hard start already installed.. Again get a pro to check... Did you ohm it out? Check cap.. What does refrigerant pressures do? High pressure switch tripping? Possible low pressure switch tripping? Bad control board/ defrost board.. Heat pump or ac not specified... Many possibilities get someone out there that know what they are doing...
    Cap checks out just fine ... visual and meter.

Pressures don't do anything ... compressor runs for less than one second ... this is the basic issue ... the compressor won't start on a new unit.

No trip on either high pressure or low pressure ... those are separate fault codes.

AC .. not heat-pump.

The issue with getting " getting a pro out" is this:

I have lived in AZ for 6 months.

I purchased a home that were functional, but that I wanted to replace (based on old age ... 1984 technology).

I had two failures (on the old, now replaced units) over the past six months ... called a "pro" both times ... one recommended by the neighbor ... the second recommended by the local HVAC wholesale distributor ... both were sloppy .. in style of workmanship and procedure ... I believe that R134a systems should be charged by super-heat/sub-cool ... both these businesses ... licensed/bonded/insured ... charged based on pressures only ... that is not right ... I hope you agree!

My next step is to fully pump the system down (yes, I have the correct tools) and recharge to a minimum state ... then see what happens.

On a positive note ... I was hoping that this forum could provide positive information ... like the automotive industry, there is a wide variety of skill and service-level. My experience with, service-level has forced me down the DIY path.

I welcome any constructive response or direction to a specific solution or local professional that is not a "hack"

Sincerely,

Bill N.

Post Likes
    Sounds like you know just enough to be dangerous.

I suggest you not go further without getting a pro who is knowlegeable and thorough.

Post Likes
    FYI... r134a is not used in residential hvac systems
    Heating/Cooling Services Inc.
    www.heatingandcoolingservicesinc.com

Post Likes
    Im sorry mr moderator im not being a smart ass at all but I had reviewed the rules this is the second notice from a moderator I would like a email or message to specify what im saying wrong.. I feel I havnt violated any rules and have advised this guest to get a pro on both of my posts.. please send me.message of whats so wrong with my post so I dont violate the rules again thank you...

Post Likes
    Husker, you have to get an asterisk by your name to be able to post in the aop forums.
    Heating/Cooling Services Inc.
    www.heatingandcoolingservicesinc.com

Post Likes
    What is that for and why di I need that.. how do I get that.

Post Likes
    Not entirely sure, but here you go http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....plication-Form

Post Likes
    Did you back seat your service valves before you started it

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_HUSKER View Post
    Im sorry mr moderator im not being a smart ass at all but I had reviewed the rules this is the second notice from a moderator I would like a email or message to specify what im saying wrong.. I feel I havnt violated any rules and have advised this guest to get a pro on both of my posts.. please send me.message of whats so wrong with my post so I dont violate the rules again thank you...
    I sent an e-mail to the address listed in your profile last night before I posted this.

There is an application to fill out:
    Click here.
    Last edited by Dad; 01-15-2015 at 05:19 PM.

Post Likes
    just a guess but if its wired correct probably a bad compressor .the factory does mess up the wiring sometimes,also would not be the first compressor bad out of the box

Post Likes
    Provided it's wired properly from the factory and the charge has been released from the unit, return it to Goodman. Oh, did you buy this online? That may be a problem then......... Contact your online retailer for assistance. This unit will be 410a, not 134a. I hope you evacuated the system below 500 microns or you can kiss it and any warranty you might have had good bye.

And, since it won't run, in order to cut it loose and return it you will need to recover the charge with you refrigerant recovery machine. You obviously have one since you had to recover that R22 from your old equipment.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    just a guess but if its wired correct probably a bad compressor .the factory does mess up the wiring sometimes,also would not be the first compressor bad out of the box

I have had absolutely 0 bad compressors or fan motors in 7 years from goodman.

Replacement compressors/motors (random brands), I have received bad out of the box.

Theres 2 very usual things going on here.
    1. A homeowner installation.
    2. A brand new unit not running.

occams razor tells me their directly related.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes
    This is good stuff jack.

Post Likes
    Thanks to those who provided constructive thoughts.

I figured it out tonight. I found it difficult to believe that a new unit would have a failed compressor.

I added a hard-start kit ... that changed the symptoms a bit, but didn't solve the no-start problem.

I finally decided to track the compressor wiring ... Bingo!

The red lead from the main circuit board to the compressor start-capacitor was disconnected at the circuit board. It must have vibrated loose during transit.

The condenser fired up without issue.

I let it stabilize ... measured superheat and sub-cool ... a small tweak to the TXV ... adjusted charge ... and it works like a champ!

Yes, it is possible for a homeowner to install HVAC. I find it enjoyable to learn new things ... The tools are not that expensive ... except for a recovery machine ... so I hired a local fellow with the proper equipment and certification to pump-down the old R-22 unit before removing it.

And sorry for confusing refrigerants (that was my automotive background slipping through) ... of course it's a R410a system

Thanks again.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in