Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

starting new business

hey guys, getting ready to start looking for work on my own. It is a busy area with a lot of restraunts, but i am starting with no customers. how much luck has anybody had with newspaper/radio adds etc.... will do hot side and cols side with no dish machines. what has been the best way to acquire customers for everyone, and whats the likelihood of staying busy?

will still have income from current job as well. this will be "extra work" thanks

give out business cards to restaurants and people you know that can help. I will stay away from newspaper and ads for now unless YOUR company does big installation jobs. For general maintenance and small job, giving out business cards is sufficient. It's hard to start out, but once you get a few customers, and they can spread good words about you

I've been on my own for 12 years now specializing in restaurants. I went door to door with cards and flyers describing services. After 3 weeks worked no less than 40 hours/week and have not looked back yet. Sell yourself and how you can help them in person.

Sounds like a conflict of interest just don't get caught.
    Trying not to be a Hack.

No. Current work knows all about it. They,re supportive for now

Just kidding, straight and narrow is the way to go.
    Trying not to be a Hack.

Word of mouth!
    And get in good with the food sales guys, can't count how many accounts I've gotten from US Foods and Sysco referrals
    Member of the "Work Exchange Program"
    "Will work for knowledge"

"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"
    A Einstein

Thanks. Really nervous, but should work out once I get the first few customers. At least that's the plan.lol.
    Just finished the six day hands on Cfesa class today. Really smart instructors, decent class overall for anyone wandering

I went through the phone book and sent flyers to every restaurant, c store, florist and anything else I could think of. I enclosed magnatic business cards. That was 40 years ago, done more mailings since then, people keep the cards and call even 7 or 8 years later.
    Even tried funeral homes, didn't work. Dead issue I guess. Good luck. Just don't get greedy. You will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by kklobas View Post
    Thanks. Really nervous, but should work out once I get the first few customers. At least that's the plan.lol.
    Just finished the six day hands on Cfesa class today. Really smart instructors, decent class overall for anyone wandering

Can you pm me info on that class?
    We just picked up hot side, and within several months I'm as busy as can be. I'd like to go full force with it cause it really helps my refer side. As a matter of fact, I might just drop the resi side of the biz alltogether!
    Tia

sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note
    Member of the "Work Exchange Program"
    "Will work for knowledge"

"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"
    A Einstein

No. Current work knows all about it. They,re supportive for now

You dont need cards use existing contacts. I looked at your email,, looks like a large pool of potential connections. Start with fire suppressant (cleaning greasy hoods/coil cleaning/all that dirty stuff)
    Customer is alWays opposite of Left

Hi. Not sure how to pm you back. Fairly new to this site. Go to Cfesa. com for info. Go to training, then hot side egs course description.

Two full days steam from Cleveland factory tech with an incredible amount of knowledge/experiance. Very very smart guy. Had combi oven, boiler, kettle hands on.
    Two full days gas. Flame rectification/ignition modules, stats,valves. Hands on and class.
    Two days electric also. Hands on and theory.

Also I would call the manufactures of the equipment you are finding in your area and try to build a relationship with them. You should look into joining CFESA and going to one of their conference. A lot of people willing to share good information and some manufactures comes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast