Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastman342 View Post
    Are there duct dampers that provide both duct balancing and motorized on/off zone control?... I anticipate the need for full motorized zone control in the future.
    Wasn't this your original question? The answer is yes.
    I like how these threads spiral out of control.
    There's always good info to be had, folks just need to post with respect.

Well, the internet cops had to show up.

Rules are for a reason.

Interesting exchangee of views! We have Rick forwarding a view of what should have been done "Up-Front" and Husker expressing the answer when things were not that well done on the first "go-round" The Perfect vs the Practical reality of trying to improve the situation. While I see Ricks point, I am inclined to endorse Huiskers pragmatic approach to instalations where the "buried takeoff dampers leave little chance to do anything other than damper at the Register. I would think that is why they installed the OBD and not just installed grills vs registers.
    I was wondering why this simple exchange of views was seen as contentious or argumentative. I didn't sense anything other than an honest difference of opinion especially on the Husker side or the exchange. Did I miss something that was left unsaid?
    Mike, for whatever my 2 cents is worth
    You have got to learn from other people's mistakes! Because God knows you don't live long enough to make them all yourself !!!!!!!!

Oh to answer the original question,
    I don't see any reason why a motorized damper couldn't fix the new addition problem without going for the entire system. Of course your main T Stat will turn the whole system on but the damper will reduce ( if set on min value airflow) the air to the addition ( if satisfied) and the system will then run til the main stat says it is time to shut off. Not the perfect but practical/ affordable solution
    You have got to learn from other people's mistakes! Because God knows you don't live long enough to make them all yourself !!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eastman342 View Post
    I like how these threads spiral out of control. I have no intention of zoning my whole house. I just (potentially) want a step up from closing off a few registers in a small area that consistently overheats.
    Slave it. if the contractors your talking to don't know how to do that. Your talking to the wrong contractors.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Slave it. if the contractors your talking to don't know how to do that. Your talking to the wrong contractors.
    What does that mean, "slave it"?

It can only heat or cool when the main thermostat is calling for heat or cooling.
    Contractor locator map

Are there thermostats commonly available that will synchronize their calls for heat?

You can't synchronize their heat calls. Since one heats up quicker and losses heat quicker then the other.
    Contractor locator map

I'm looking through some of Honeywell's zoning products. For example, the Honeywell Envirazone Control Panel advertises "Zone of Greatest Demand algorithm reduces and regulates HVAC cycles, decreases damper cycles, and increases efficiency." Would this be applicable here?

That would be a good zoning system for what you want.
    Contractor locator map

How is it better than just slaving the addition?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast