Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastman342 View Post
    @HVAC_HUSKER: I totally understand where you are coming from but this has nothing to do with low bids and mickey mousing. Here's some more background: Super old house, historic, murderously difficult to modify the heat system in any way. New addition, small, well insulated, too much air flow, addition is not occupied all the time. I'm not going to tear apart the entire home just to throttle back this addition. The crew that put the new duct work in are local, they've been in business for as long as I've lived here. (almost my whole life) As a home owner, I am here to read up on this subject and get more insight from more people so I can have an intelligent discussion with my hvac guy rather than just blindly believe everything he says. (That is what got me into this position.) I need to be able to ask questions and learn.
    I'm just giving feedback and the correct advise you and your contractor are going to do what you want to do I'm giving the proper advise to maximize performance and comfort.. The way you make it seem is he just added a duct going to addition.. That's the cheapest way but now you are having issues that are conflicting overall performance and comfort so I am giving my advise on what should have been offered at least. I understand you may have a low budget possibly and you are trying to make it work as cost efficient as possible.. I would not put motorized dampers unless the system is reconfigured and you go with a full zone system... It is a waste if money.. I see your trying to give an option for future zone. When this does happen you will be reconfiguring all if not most of the ductwork if its going to be done properly... So why waste that money now on a damper that will be a few Benjamin's. if the room isn't even going to used often why not a minisplit... Very quiet and efficient.. I hav also done homes without any ac or duct work and use just a wall furnace for heating.. Very old and ancient homes and have done full comfort system with ducts.. That should not be a reason to properly size and design a system... Good luck to you on what you choose to do....

Wy are getting upset? Stuck on old school rule of thumb inaccurate ways? You can't be serious that you can effectively balance system by closing off registers... I said let's start a post on balancing a system by closing registers or using dampers in wyes... And get some other feedback... Do you take static readings? Do a experiment for your self? Check them out. Or maybe get some up to date training on balancing and air distribution... If you don't want to make the change for your co and customers I feel bad for all the customers you have and will continue to lye too....

Husker, shouldn't you have an Asterisk to post? Maybe I'm wrong.

Ya I should and will be sending in application I have already been warned by moderator.. its just weird they allow people supposedly professionals like you give such wrong info to homeowners asking for assistance.. I love this site but this is such false info you are giving its not right. I am just standing up for whats right. Like I said I will be applying. If it is such an issue they should have this blocked like thw.marketing and pro section.

You can start a new thread, but lets say you did a load and some rooms don't have AED, your summer load and winter load is different in the said area, are you gonna have the ho adjust the damper every season and what would that do to the terminal velocity.

Gentlemen,

HUSKER has been warned and could now be considered in blatant violation of site rules.

If you want to argue over Pro level specifics of zoning systems, take it to the Pro side, please.

Eastman, I think HVAC_HUSKER is trying to get the point across that until a load calc is done, anybody who is telling you anything without one is just guessing. You need to know what the heating and cooling requirements are to give you the right answer. I'm sure you will find many HVAC companies that will guess at it, more than, that will go the extra step to find out what you need exactly. And yes, even companies that have been in business for many years just guess. also, balancing a system by dampering down the register is just a hacky way\lazy way of doing it.

Jp moderator im a pro member I dont understand why im being punished please read the thread if you a moderator you should be able to see the advise being given and I am clearly giving the proper advise I dint understand its just not right why isnt this bkock if I am not allowed to post... and thank you vinster at least somebody understands the proper whay to do things around here... what other requirement do I need to post here... for some reason it doesnt seem fair...

Hypothetically, purely for my own intellectual curiosity: Can a Honeywell ARD or RRD (or something similar) be used manually to throttle back a small zone a bit. Isn't that what the "adjustable range stops" are for on these products?

Quote Originally Posted by Vinster View Post
    Eastman, I think HVAC_HUSKER is trying to get the point across that until a load calc is done, anybody who is telling you anything without one is just guessing. You need to know what the heating and cooling requirements are to give you the right answer. I'm sure you will find many HVAC companies that will guess at it, more than, that will go the extra step to find out what you need exactly. And yes, even companies that have been in business for many years just guess. also, balancing a system by dampering down the register is just a hacky way\lazy way of doing it.
    So I'll ask you Vinster.... You've done your load, which should be done on every structure. Now, some rooms don't have AED, your summer load and winter load is different in the said area, are you gonna have the home owner adjust the damper in the attic half way across the structure from the attic access, compressing the R38 blown insulation (now equivalent to R13) every season and what would that do to the terminal velocity?

Yes Vinster, I've been doing loads since our computer screens were green. And I do more loads a day than many of you have ever done. My point is sometimes you just have to be practical. Something aren't all textbook.

Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_HUSKER View Post
    Jp moderator im a pro member I dont understand why im being punished please read the thread if you a moderator you should be able to see the advise being given and I am clearly giving the proper advise I dint understand its just not right why isnt this bkock if I am not allowed to post... and thank you vinster at least somebody understands the proper whay to do things around here... what other requirement do I need to post here... for some reason it doesnt seem fair...
    May be you should read the rules for Pros on posting in the AOP.

THE ONLY PEOPLE allowed to REPLY in the Owner Assistance Forums will be a Pro Member with a * by their user title and the one who started the thread. No others may post a reply.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by Eastman342 View Post
    Hypothetically, purely for my own intellectual curiosity: Can a Honeywell ARD or RRD (or something similar) be used manually to throttle back a small zone a bit. Isn't that what the "adjustable range stops" are for on these products?
    Yes

I like how these threads spiral out of control. I have no intention of zoning my whole house. I just (potentially) want a step up from closing off a few registers in a small area that consistently overheats.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast