zone dampers and hvac balancing - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Both the ARD and RRD models have "adjustable range stops". Is that what would be used to balance the system? In a new home that is fully zoned from the getgo, how is balancing accomplished? Surely one would not install both a manual damper and motorized one in series?

I balance mine at the register.

So you would typically not install a balancing device?

I don't. I use the register.

How do you do that? Doesn't the register get opened and closed eventually by the occupants? How would one know what shutter position to return the register to?

Very horrible practice using registers as dampers... and when you zone there is motorized dampers for the zone and you will have manual dampers at each wye that is feeding conditioned space and balance total system with all zones calling.. depending how the zone is you may only use the motorized damper then there wont be balancing dampers.. for instance if zone 1 is a single room why have balancing dampers. But if zone 1 is for three bedrooms you would need balancing dampers for each room that is being fed of the motorized damper..

Why can't one use the motorized zone damper as a balancing damper? Isn't that what the "adjustable range stops" are for?

When you take the lowball bid and try to mickey mouse **** to work you will have problems.. you get what you pay for... it isnt as easy as I want to build a room we, just tap off my plennum so I have air... like I said on my first post perform manual j to ensure system is sized properly then redesign entire duct system(manual d) to accompany the btu requirements for each room.. weather you zone or not put balancing dampers.. and get a flow hood and balance system properly.. get inspection and hers testin... my personal opinion do it right the first time

Quote Originally Posted by Eastman342 View Post
    How do you do that? Doesn't the register get opened and closed eventually by the occupants? How would one know what shutter position to return the register to?
    I'm sure the home owner knows when they're hot or cold... and everyone lives in their home differently, one might use a room as a study and the same style home a homeowner may use the same room as a gym.... two different loads.

Very horrible practice using registers as dampers...
    Stromping through that R38 blown insulation to adjust airflow is a great idea.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by rickboggs View Post
    I'm sure the home owner knows when they're hot or cold... and everyone lives in their home differently, one might use a room as a study and the same style home a homeowner may use the same room as a gym.... two different loads.

Come on Rick... I think I will when this battle start a new post and let's hear from the real pros out there.. Balancing at the register is a horrible way of balancing.. I've been certified with nci up to 25 tons residential and commercial.im not trying to degrade you. Just giving the right info and not some half ass hack info... I think you just lazy and don't want to crawl through attic to get the job done right...

Quote Originally Posted by rickboggs View Post

Besides take static reading after you close those registers.. It's gonna jump.. Watch it... When you have a properly sized zone system you will be closing the whole zone off but you have a static damper bypass to make up the difference of the zone... I'm sorry

@HVAC_HUSKER: I totally understand where you are coming from but this has nothing to do with low bids and mickey mousing. Here's some more background: Super old house, historic, murderously difficult to modify the heat system in any way. New addition, small, well insulated, too much air flow, addition is not occupied all the time. I'm not going to tear apart the entire home just to throttle back this addition. The crew that put the new duct work in are local, they've been in business for as long as I've lived here. (almost my whole life) As a home owner, I am here to read up on this subject and get more insight from more people so I can have an intelligent discussion with my hvac guy rather than just blindly believe everything he says. (That is what got me into this position.) I need to be able to ask questions and learn.

Husker, I've been in this business longer than I haven't. I've been there, I've done that, and T shirt doesn't fit anymore. You do it how you want and I wish you luck. I think I'm done.

Thank you,
    Rick Boggs

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast