Okay so I got an old Pro Chiller PMA3C1H22 - capacity is 31k BTU/h high temp 22valve with a constant set point of 40 degrees. This chiller is for a brewery that Was original designed to run two 200gal tanks. Now a few years into the business the production demand more than doubled, so the owner added 2 more 400gal tanks to this particular glycol loop thinking all will be fine and dandy. He ran it this way on a full load (with temp balencing issues obviously)for like 6 months before inevitably the compressor failed. At which time he called us. At the time I was busy rebuilding a 40horse compressor at some elementary school. So they sent our most limited tech as he was he only one available at the time, to change this compressor. He went out there and had no idea what he was really looking out, nor took notice to how undersized the system was for what they had on it and just blindly changed the compressor. Well while doing so he wired the start and run windings backwards and fired it off. (240v, 1ph circuit) They ran it this way for a year after that tech left. While using common sense and not pulling a full load on it at a time. then today we got another call on this system. This time I went out and took a look. ( the original tech this job is no longer with us lol) Firstly pulling up a PDF spec sheet for this system as it was obviously undersized after the owner showed me what ran off it. So I informed him to limit his load when system is running which he informed me he has been trying to do up untiltoday when another guy opened up all the tanks. Compressor was continually tripping on overload and very hot. Cut power, cooled down and recycled on. Pressures were normal ( 45sp 220dp) with 1 200gal tank running but running high amps for some odd reason. (22amps on a 14.5 FLA comp) so I run over everything and find the winding wires in reverse. Switch them and then recycle. Pulling 14-15 amps now. Pressures normal. It isn't until I switch on one of the 400s that my head pressure and amp draw spikes. Compressor still running hot. Manageable but not optimal on that load. I leave a USB recorder attached to the return line to the glycol tank to monitor temp fluctuations overnight. Get a call at 8 am and told the compressor is tripping again with the cp reading 48 degrees. Cycle comp on and check recorder graphing. It's consistantly holding 40 until about 7am where it gradually rises to Its present 48 degrees. Go back in and all operational checks are normal under its reasonable load.
Now, thus comes my delimma. So many options here to get this thing up to par. Some just more expensive than others. I could just install a 5 ton AC system and call it a day since this is a high temp app anyhow. Or I could upsize the compressor, TXV, pumps and throw a water cooled condenser on it. Or even just go water cooled loop with a flat plate and just double up the capacity of the compressor. Just off the top of my head.
Give me your thoughts, options or recommendations on the most cost effective time efficient method to ease this guys troubles.