Questions re: PMs

In the past, when performing a 'winter' PM, the tech would apply a drop or two of oil to the shaft of the VS blower motor. Likewise, to the (bearing) of the inducer.

The product manual states that the motors are sealed and require no lubrication.

Last time, a tech came (new company) and dd not do this. I did not question him at the time.

My questions are: is this practice harmful to sealed motors? Also, being that it has been done in the past, should I request that this be done, or not in the future?

Thanks.

Amp

Quote Originally Posted by ampulman View Post
    In the past, when performing a 'winter' PM, the tech would apply a drop or two of oil to the shaft of the VS blower motor. Likewise, to the (bearing) of the inducer.

The product manual states that the motors are sealed and require no lubrication.

Last time, a tech came (new company) and dd not do this. I did not question him at the time.

My questions are: is this practice harmful to sealed motors? Also, being that it has been done in the past, should I request that this be done, or not in the future?

Thanks.

Amp
    Should not be done. Someone has probably created a generic PM protocol telling there staff to lubricate all motors.

Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    Should not be done. Someone has probably created a generic PM protocol telling there staff to lubricate all motors.
    You're right. At the time of the original PM, I questioned the tech and he said that the owner wants (all) the motors lubed. Could you comment on exactly what the effect of lubing them would be? Degrade the 'on board' lubricant, resulting in premature failure?

Amp

Its a sealed bearing. I don't think it would do any harm or benefit... not a couple drops. At worst it will attract fine dust and make a mess on the shaft. It's an open motor, but would take a LOT of oil to reach the motor housing and impact cooling of the windings.

Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    Its a sealed bearing. I don't think it would do any harm or benefit... not a couple drops. At worst it will attract fine dust and make a mess on the shaft. It's an open motor, but would take a LOT of oil to reach the motor housing and impact cooling of the windings.
    And what that leads to is the condemning of a good motor " because the oil and dust indicates the seal on the motor is leaking" " you need to replace it right away, it's going to be hot/cold soon"