+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AK900 Longevity?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac5646 View Post
    Jp you are going to run out of whipping boys when FP stops using Type-Ks...and it won't be all that long til it happens.
    They say they run K sensors because that is what guys want.
    Why would they stop giving their customers what they want?
    And as far as evacuation thru a service manifold since forever from reading some old publications on the subject it actually condemns practices like this. This is something that has been neglected over decades until recently.
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Post Likes
    Yeah, three valve manifolds. That's what you said.

Man, you keep altering your statements worse than a menopausal female with a migraine.
    You are the one who evacuates through a manifold...

As I said, stop trolling threads about DCs until you have experience with them.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    And as far as evacuation thru a service manifold since forever from reading some old publications on the subject it actually condemns practices like this. This is something that has been neglected over decades until recently.
    The "old timers" knew their stuff and did things correctly.

The newer generation are the ones who want "all-in-one" tools with a vacuum pump, vacuum gauge, hi-flow hoses, core removers, SH/SC calculation, target SH calcultion, airflow computation, total refrigerating effect calculations, and a ham sandwich included with their manifolds.

Oh, did I leave out a cup of coffee and a cold beer when the job is over? Yeah, they'll probably want that, too.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    The "old timers" knew their stuff and did things correctly.

The newer generation are the ones who want "all-in-one" tools with a vacuum pump, vacuum gauge, hi-flow hoses, core removers, SH/SC calculation, target SH calcultion, airflow computation, total refrigerating effect calculations, and a ham sandwich included with their manifolds.

Oh, did I leave out a cup of coffee and a cold beer when the job is over? Yeah, they'll probably want that, too.
    The all-in-one certainly looks better from a marketing stand point. Even though it encourages poor service practices, it sells boxes.

I have had my 1250 on an Imperial 4 port for 3 years now and finally tossed the manifold and bought the DC ball valve unit. I never used the 3/8 port anyway except for sometimes a quick purge through the manifold when switching to different refrigerants.

Post Likes
    As for the OP question of longevity, I agree with the consensus here. DC is a very solid meter, I pulled mine out of the truck at -20° a couple weeks ago and it turned on and worked perfectly. Took it into a warm humid environment and it started frosting!

We don't work in a lab, we work in all sorts of rough environments and require a tough instrument that can get bounced around and rained on occasionally. It is nice to have a meter that is accurate enough for lab work and tough enough for field work.

Post Likes

I evac thru Appion hoses as and CRTs as I have said and as you well know. you are defaming and libelous in your choice of wording by using "TROLLING".

I am expressing my opinion. I am not the problem here..you are...you continue to throw gasoline on the fire by twisting and cherry picking my words.

If I didn't reply to your intentionally misleading statements you would succeed in your treacherous,maligning little tactics.

You used them on Uncle and now me.

It's easy for you to beat up on an old, unhealthy
    man, isn't it?

Post Likes

I Evacuate thru a Manifold?
    On occasion I have, But you state I do it as a regular practice. I have Appion gear which you are well aware of so you are making knowing false statements.

Uncle, the man you say you look up to, advised you of the outcome of such actions.

Just more misinformation by you that goes to defamation.

Post Likes
    You have ins at FP as many forum members do...if you are out of the loop on this, I will discuss this with you via Email.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    As for the OP question of longevity, I agree with the consensus here. DC is a very solid meter, I pulled mine out of the truck at -20° a couple weeks ago and it turned on and worked perfectly. Took it into a warm humid environment and it started frosting!

We don't work in a lab, we work in all sorts of rough environments and require a tough instrument that can get bounced around and rained on occasionally. It is nice to have a meter that is accurate enough for lab work and tough enough for field work.
    And my Testo and FPs are every bit as you claim yours to be.

Post Likes

Talk to us in 6 or 7 years about that.

How many warranty claims in Uncle Clover up to, now?

I think it was 3 or 4 when I stopped counting.

Post Likes
    Hmmmmm, I have first hand experience with those brands also, and they didn't prove that way for me. Have you used a DC yet? If not, then how can you accurately and objectively compare the other brands with them?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    Hmmmmm, I have first hand experience with those brands also, and they didn't prove that way for me. Have you used a DC yet? If not, then how can you accurately and objectively compare the other brands with them?
    He has no experience with the DC, refuses to gain any experience with the DC yet continues to bad mouth it.

Everyone that has seen and used my DC either has bought one, plans to buy one or wishes that they had seen mine before they spent money on a competitor.

Post Likes
    You have ins at FP as many forum members do...if you are out of the loop on this, I will discuss this with you via Email.
    If the tides are changing and they are finally listening let them know to s-can the clamp design too.
    They don't work as well as they claim in the field.

Post Likes
    I own all 3 brands of DRSAs being discussed, multiple models of 2 of the brands, and I can tell you unequivocally that the Feildpeice and Testo instruments do not even come close to approaching the durability of Digi-Cool DRSAs.

How many warranty claims in Uncle Clover up to, now?

I think it was 3 or 4 when I stopped counting.
    If I remember correctly, between 2 of the instruments, he had 2 or 3 warranty returns before he even actually used them...

Post Likes
    If the tides are changing and they are finally listening let them know to s-can the clamp design too.
    They don't work as well as they claim in the field.
    The field piece scissor clamp was alright, but I think that the Fluke clamps were more accurate and of a higher quality overall. I liked having both as they give more options for clamping a sensor onto a line. Scissors clamps reach places where the bar clamps sometimes don't.

Neither type work in all scenarios and on all line sizes, which is why we need multiple options, including bare probe sensors removed from clamps.

Eventually, the sensor wires on the FP probe failed and it landed on the junk heap of failed sensors with other Fluke clamps, bead probes, insertion probes and meter leads.

Post Likes
    The FP clamp is much worse than you know if you are calling it alright. More times than not they are double digits off for me. The TC material is quality but in the clamp it stinks.

Post Likes
    The FP clamp is much worse than you know if you are calling it alright. More times than not they are double digits off for me. The TC material is quality but in the clamp it stinks.
    Due to their design, the FP clamps need to be insulated if there is a significant temperature difference between the pipe and the ambient air, and/or the section of pipe it is clamped to is not perfectly straight and round.
    The TC wires are soldered to the back of the metal plate in the jaw, which is in solid contact with the plastic jaws, which also have slots in them that allow relatively free movement of ambient air in contact with the plate.

For the money, they are not bad probes, people just need to be aware that under many of the conditions we face on nearly every call, they need to be insulated.
    The same is true, to one degree or another, for every brand of probes.

The best all around "real world" performing pipe probes that I've used are the PT100 pipe wrap probe that came with the original 1st generation Testo 523, the Cooper 4011 pipe wrap, and the Fluke 80PK-8 and -10 pipe clamps.
    I haven't tried the pipe wrap probe for the newer Testo manifolds, or the Cooper NTC thermistor pipe clamp, so can't speak to the performance of them.

Wraps tend to be more precise than clamps, but clamps are just so damn convenient.

Post Likes
    They sell the Cooper for the same price as the Fieldpeice
    So for the money they are not that great IMO

Post Likes
    Oh and yet another reason to be on a first name basis with your postman
    testo is now extending warranty out to 3 years with a mail in rebate

Post Likes
    I like my ak900 so much I bought a 2nd one. The sensors it ships with are crap and immediately went in the trash. I have the clamps I did the mod on and a couple stretchy sensors I was given. I've used the sman3. Didn't hate it but wasn't used to it and felt like it was missing something. I talked an old timer into a drsa. He went with a dc, ak900. Few years back a friend bought a testo. This was before I've ever seen a drsa in person and he only had it a few days when the hook broke and the pins in the sensor plug broke. I believe it's sitting in a landfill now.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in