Thread: Equipment Pad Required for a Condensing Unit???

Post Likes

Equipment Pad Required for a Condensing Unit???

I am helping my brother in law to swap out a condensing unit. His current condensing unit sits on the concrete paving in his backyard. It is not on an equipment pad. Does it need to be? We want to make sure we only have to do this once.

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Post Likes
    When you save paving do you mean a concrete sidewalk, slab extension off house???

As Long as it is level and gets the unit within reason off the ground then not needed. What name brand unit are you going to be installing?

Post Likes
    Model is JS6BD-060. Yes it is a slab extension off the house. It is level.

Post Likes
    Depends on if you want it code or not.

IMC calls for minimum 3" elevation above grade.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacvegas View Post

See that just goes to show you mans answer is not always correct. In my area code does not require this but in hvacVegas area it does.

Adding a condenser pad never hurts and you can get one that is plastic say 36x36x3 for little cost. That is just a example of a standard pad that I use. The system you are installing might need a bigger pad. I would say go ahead and install so no code issues come up or for that matter anything in the future.

Post Likes
    a 5 ton nordyne unit . please tell us you are also changing the indoor unit and you are not upgrading to a larger unit

Post Likes
    Hmmm... just going to swap that unit out. If you just follow the installation manual explicitely, you'll be fine. I wish I had all the tools to do that... they are pretty expensive. Probably abotu 2X the labor to install a unit at least twice and you still don;t get any warranties.

As for your question. I'd still use a plastic pad even on top of the slab. IF the existing slab makes contact with your house, you could get some vibration into the foundation. It will improve good drainage and keep the bottom of the coil out of any debris like leaves and grass clipping that tend to accumulate on the ground. I think there also could be some improvement in airflow and less liekly for air to recirculate in windy conditions with more space below the bottom of the coil... FWIM. This is for AC. If it's a heat pump, I think 3" is minimum for good coil drainage during heating mode, especailly if design temps are under 35F it's absoluately needed to avoid ice accumulation. IF in a region that gets snow, it need to be above typical snow level.

Post Likes
    Put a pad with vibration isolation under the unit and be done, no reason to cheap out for such a measly amount.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Post Likes

Required by IMC 304.10 and International Residential Code M1305.1.4.1

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by duckman06 View Post
    See that just goes to show you mans answer is not always correct. In my area code does not require this but in hvacVegas area it does.

Adding a condenser pad never hurts and you can get one that is plastic say 36x36x3 for little cost. That is just a example of a standard pad that I use. The system you are installing might need a bigger pad. I would say go ahead and install so no code issues come up or for that matter anything in the future.
    What code book does your area use?

Keep in mind, IMC is minimum requirements, local requirements may be more restrictive, but not less than the IMC.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes

Keep in mind, IMC is minimum requirements, local requirements may be more restrictive, but not less than the IMC.
    The funny thing is I agree but code inspections in my area are a joke. You pull a permit, they don't come out before the install and to be honest not many times after the install?

While I belive a little of that is due to my company never having any problems. I always follow local codes to the t and dot all my I's an cross my t's. I was just stating that original poster should follow codes but since he is doing himself with a buddy he might not even pull a permit?

This is why we are higher priced then out competitors because regardless if a inspector comes out or not it will be done right if my name is on it!!!

One day in my area I hope the codes will be followed up on before and after install. Sad for me to say such bad things about my region which is northeast Louisana does not do this. This is why companies that do it all
    Things wrong are able to stay in business no code enforcement.

Post Likes

Also keep in mind IMC is for commercial application or residential complexes over three stories IRC would cover residential 1/2 single family detached homes, but mirrors sections of IMC that would pertain to the installation of equipment. Both written by International Code Council.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in