Thread: codes

codes

I seen somewhere some members talking about "I think" code books a, b, c, d, e. what are these books? where can I find them? or what are the names of them?....I think that post said something like never heard of a tech that didnt know about them! guess im that guy today!

Quote Originally Posted by jacob-k View Post
    I seen somewhere some members talking about "I think" code books a, b, c, d, e. what are these books? where can I find them? or what are the names of them?....I think that post said something like never heard of a tech that didnt know about them! guess im that guy today!
    Lol, I think you mean ICC (International Code Council), IMC (International Mechanical Code), IFGC (International Fuel Gas Code), etc...
    Other books include Manual D, Manual J, Manual S, etc...
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

On my truck i keep a 2012 international mechanical code book and a 2012 international fuel gas code book they are both published by ICC which is the international code council i also keep NFPA national electric code published by the national fire protection association they are good references to have and are available from the publishers websites as well as amazon.com or have your local bookstore order them for you

reference for NC, & description
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

If the I-codes apply in your area, there is a more cost effective way to get them: enroll as a member in the ICC and your choice of one code book at no charge. Select the IRC and that covers all the building, energy, mechanical, electrical and plumbing sections related to residential construction up to town home 6 packs and homes less than 4 stories. You need the full mechanical, gas, electrical and building code only if the occupancy is outside of the IRC.

You can buy the ACCA manuals individually but there isn't a similar deal on them that I'm aware of.

You can join the NFPA and buy NFPA 54, 211, 31 and 58 at a decent discount.

For wet heads, you'll have to pay the ASME tribute for CSD-1 for boilers.

Then you have your state and local codes and ordinances followed by the mfrs. listed installation, operation and maintenance (IOM) instructions of every single piece of equipment and thing-a-majig you install, service or inspect.

That should get you started. ;-)

You can always try to reference the codes via the "International Code Online Library".

http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/icod/index.htm
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.