Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Confused freezing liquid line help.

OK well here it goes. I am no HVAC tech but I am not helpless. With that said I have a lennox e11? central air what I believe to be a 1.5 ton system using a orifice tube. the air worked fine our first hot stretch this year. turned it off when it cooled back down then tried it again a week later and nada. I hooked up a ****ty gauge to see what was going on and there went my r22.... ok so I called a guy to fill it up. he says he put 1.5 lbs in it but doesn't like his low side pressure and discharge temp. he also thought high side was a little high but I only saw 300 for high side and like 32 for low side and around 40* line temp. ambient was around 76*

Now it is my understanding that these systems are installed using pre-filled lines? Is this correct?

So my high pressure line goes from the compressor/condenser unit into my basement the routes over by the furnace(electric) then u-turns back to the outer wall then another U-turn to the evaporator. Now right at the evaporator is I believe the orifice tube(slightly larger diameter before the fiting to the evaporator). is this correct?

Now the problem; The liguid line starts to freeze at the second U-turn by the outer wall all the way to the inlet of the evaporator.

Diag; attempted to fit a guage to see what t read and leaked out a bunch of r22. called a guy to fill it and he says he put about 1.5 lbs in but couldn't get his discharge temp where he wanted it without it freezing at the liquid line coming out of the condenser. I cut out the evaporator and cleaned the fins(very dirty, mow very clean) replaced the filter. fired it up and saw the frost forming right at that second U-turn I described. there are no kinks .

Is there a restriction in the U-turn. if so is it the compressor coming apart or just 25 years of wear. or should I just try to replace the orifice tube like 12 feet away from where the freezing starts? what about replacing the pressure line orifice and condenser?

Thanks a million in advance!

Pete

time to

That's about all the diy assistance you will get.

Please don't take offense its in the rules you agreed to.

Quote Originally Posted by SBKold View Post
    time to

That's about all the diy assistance you will get.

Please don't take offense its in the rules you agreed to.
    If I am 609 certified am I able to buy any of this stuff? Not the refrigerant the components? That's why I asked if the lines came pre-filled? I took the cert in college is why I ask.

With the way the Internet is you can buy whatever you want....however it may be less expensive and frustrating to find a experienced tech to fix it up proper. Unless you don't mind making some costly mistakes.

Education is expensive. Whether you pay a school or learn from your mistakes.

If your indoor unit is an E11 electric air handler, and the outdoor unit and coil are the same age, there is a good chance that the "liquid line" is actually an old Lennox RFC line, and is the metering device.
    If that is the case, it is normal for it to start frosting up before it gets to the evaporator coil inlet if there is a condition that is causing the saturated suction temperature to run below 32ΊF.
    If it is an RFC line, the last 15-20 feet of it should have been insulated, but installers often neglected that step.

Call a pro to evaluate it.
    As old as the system is, I'd recommend replacing it.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

http://www.epa.gov/ozone/title6/609/.../609certs.html

Your best bet is to have a service tech make the diagnosis and repair.
    Jim
    Tucson, Az
    Keeping the Ice Cream Frozen!

How big is your liquid line?

You got any pictures if the gauge setup that was attempted to connect to the unit?

You got me curious

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    If that is the case, it is normal for it to start frosting up before it gets to the evaporator coil inlet if there is a condition that is causing the saturated suction temperature to run below 32ΊF.
    If it is an RFC line, the last 15-20 feet of it should have been insulated, but installers often neglected that step.

Call a pro to evaluate it.
    As old as the system is, I'd recommend replacing it.
    So it is normal to frost 1-2mm thick 15 feet ahead of the evaporator under normal conditions. I should just insulate it and see what happens... Or are you saying it is normal for it to freeze if the evaporator is plugged?

This RFC line is it serviceable?

The line is about 1/4" and as far as the gauge goes it was just a low side gauge I hooked up but forgot I stole the Schrader out of the other end.

15 feet from the evap no, but if it was insulated properly it would not be swetting or frosting up. It is crusial you hire a professional, knowlege and up to date practices are a must for proper and efficiant operation of your equipment and it's longevity. The pressures are another story and may spell a serious problem.

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary, or ask questions of the OP here.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 06-10-2013 at 05:24 AM. Reason: Non Pro * member

Quote Originally Posted by pete_l_young View Post
    So it is normal to frost 1-2mm thick 15 feet ahead of the evaporator under normal conditions.
    No
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

gsr kid, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary or ask questions of the OP here.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Your post has been deleted.
    Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

when you say you put a gauge on the line... do you mean you installed a piercing valve on the 1/4" liquid line? if so, you likely damaged the tube altering the flow of freon. that 1/4" line is the metering device. no, lines do not come precharged. and he's saying that the frost is normal when there is a problem with the system lowering the temp of the discharge air.

depending on how you installed the valve, the system likely needs replacement.
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...
    The three big summer hearththrobs...
    Mel Gibson
    Dwane Johnson
    The A/C repairman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast