thermostat

Thread: thermostat

Smile thermostat

I do some residential maintenance tune up's I get people ask me to calibrate their thermostat, does anybody do this, a guy asked me to look at his thermostat I pull off the cover to tstat looked at it making sure it didnt have a bunch off dust kind of laughded to myself and then said its fine.

does anybody adjust the heating anticipator sometimes, i am kind of unclear how to do so, it has been awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteve View Post
    I get people ask me to calibrate their thermostat, does anybody do this,
    on the older style non digital stats you can check inside temp. with a digital

thermometer, then calibrate the inside temp reading with a little screwdriver

just pop the cover off the stat and look behind the cover and you

will see the adjuster screw!

oh ya, you can also adjust the heat anticipator!

Last edited by Airmechanical; 01-30-2007 at 08:24 PM.

you are supposed to take the amp draw between R and W to set the anticipator. Or you could cheat and just look at the gas valve's amp draw rating.
    O.K. how many of the Heating and Cooling God's are going to totally disagree with what I have just wrote?

i always check the anticapator setting on the mercury stats and on some digital stats

with 80 and 90 percent furnaces it is important to have it set correctly to avoid short cylcing of the furnace

amazing how many are not set correctly and left at the factorie setting

iwannahelp how long have you been in the trade and do you think everytime you post somebodys gonna question it
    Knowledge comes with experience

nickellhead, I've been in the trade ...too long.....haha(if ya know what I mean)
    I know a lot of people on here think that they are the greatest at HVAC and no matter what anyone says those people will always have a better way
    than you. That is just how it goes.

Some poeple are shovanists but the majority like to gain usefull knowledge from others
    Knowledge comes with experience

Quote Originally Posted by iwannahelp View Post
    you are supposed to take the amp draw between R and W to set the anticipator. Or you could cheat and just look at the gas valve's amp draw rating.
    O.K. how many of the Heating and Cooling God's are going to totally disagree with what I have just wrote?
    That's how you set the anticipator alright, but I totally disagree with that last part

yeah iwannahelp,

usually the amp draw for the heat anticipator is on gas valve (if not there, but you know the model of the combo-gas valve check on the manufacturer's website to see heat ant. settings. Honeywell or White Rogers are the two largest GV manu's)

to get a accurate reading try spinning a coil of wire (ten twists works best, the divide by ten) and running it in series with the heat anticipator, but most new meters are pretty accurate.

later

Mn the state where absolutey nothing is allowed
    on mercury stats id always check the amp draw,,the gas valve may not be the only load the anticipator sees.also be sure to wait 'till the fan comes on in case of a heat assist fan control

with calibration I also level the thermastat