Thread: Amana HP cycles too frequently

Post Likes

Amana HP cycles too frequently

My three year old Amana 18 SEER with a two stage compressor HP during a heating phase cycles on & off frequently. I noticed in the morning when the outside temp is in the 40's, the thermostat (White-Rogers Humidity Control Touchscreen Thermostat) indicates "system on + 2" which means both compressor stages are on. The air handler blows air at room temp and the outside condenser unit cycles on for 10 -20 seconds every few minutes.

I'm concerned that this isn't normal. My AC Tech said the thermostat should be replaced. I've already replaced the cooling fan on the condenser after it failed last fall. Whether this cycling contributed to having to replace it, I don't know. I'm concerned that the contactor is next to go.

Is this normal? Any ideas?

Thanks

Post Likes
    Sounds like a pressure switch shutting it down. How's your air filter?

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    Air filter was replaced a few months ago. I replace it every year.

Post Likes
    If the stat is saying system on but the system isn't on, I'd still say a pressure switch, high or low, is taking it off. We had a Goodman HP doing identical. The competition wanted to change the defrost board for an outrageous amount, our tech pulled a plugged filter that was causing the high pressure switch to open.

Post Likes
    Would this affect the cooling cycle as well? Since we are heading for spring and need the HP to cool, I don't want the same problem.

Post Likes
    Replaced filter a few months ago tells me that it may need to be replaced again. The expensive ones are very restrictive anyway and I rarely see them get the 90 days or whatever they claim.

Post Likes
    Only heat mode, in cool mode the plugged filter might cause a freezeup or if horribly plugged, trip the low pressure switch. Take the filter out and see if it stays running.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DanA View Post
    Air filter was replaced a few months ago. I replace it every year.
    What type of filter do you have? Standard 1" pleated or poly? Or do you have a 5" media filter? Changing it out once a year? Are you sure it's not dirty? Also when you replaced
    It did you use the same style filter that came our (pleated or poly)?

Post Likes
    It's a 5" media filter that came with the system. I change it once a year using the same style filter. BTW, a static test was done last month and it was, according to the technician, only slightly above the accepted level as noted on the AH.

Perhaps its normal in this system to have the AH run constantly and the outside condenser cycle on & off just to maintain the heat needed to keep temp at a steady level.

Does that make sense?

Post Likes
    Is this unit matched with an Amana Air handler or furnace? Unless the ductwork or filter is extremely restricted, the VS blower should maintain airflow.

A heat pump will run almost constantly in cooler weather depending on your location and if it was sized correctly. In most cases, by 40F it should be running almost continously in 1st stage and unless your in a warm climate, it shouldn't yet need 2nd stage.

SOunds like something else is going on. I'm not convinced form the info yoru given that it's even delviering it's rated capacity. Could be charged wrong, filter dryer plugged, bad expansion valve. (FYI all 3 are typically installation related issues)

Post Likes
    If the stat says system on, the compressor should be on. If not, there's a problem

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    It is a matched system. No furnace. I live in Florida. Lately we've had cold, by our standards, weather in the low 40's at night. Just checked it. It shows "Heat Pump" "System on" with only the AH running. The outside condenser is not running. Thermostst perhaps??

Post Likes
    The outside unit cycling every 10-20 seconds IS a problem. Call for service.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DanA View Post
    It is a matched system. No furnace. I live in Florida. Lately we've had cold, by our standards, weather in the low 40's at night. Just checked it. It shows "Heat Pump" "System on" with only the AH running. The outside condenser is not running. Thermostst perhaps??
    Probably a problem with the unit. Has your electric bill been higher this winter then normal.

Post Likes
    Agree with bald looney some sort of pressure switch.. Air flow restriction or possible inadequate refrigerant charge.. Too much too little. Possible refrigerant leak... You can never rule out electronics but I highly doubt it.. Call a professional

Post Likes
    Goodman/Amana that is 3 years old, I am leaning towards leaking evaporator coil. On site tech can narrow it down. Good news is a replacement one will be all aluminum.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in