Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    They will keep writing checks untill we take their checkbook away.

Lowest bidder is fine, if you have adequate specifications, QC process and inspection standards. That is however a very, very big "IF".

I do remmber that quote from I think it was the movie "Armagedon", where it's mentioned they are in a rocket with 10,000 moving parts made by the lowest bidder.. Also my other favorite form the movie "... American components; Russian components... all made in Taiwan!"

When I was in college I was a super for my landlord. The "house" I lived in had been converted to 3 apartments. All common utilities and utilities were included in the rent. 1 gas 30 gal HW heater (set on nuclear), gas wall heaters (over sized), gas stoves.

The house originally did not have plumbing or electrical. I'd say the electrical was added in the 40's. It had the pre-romex with two tar covered wires wrapped in cellophane and covered with fiberglass. Un-fused 60 Amp service. 8 window units, dishwashers, electric space heaters ect. All wiring was 14 ga with 30 amp screw fuses installed, occasionally they would blow! Several expansion circuits were made out of pigtail lamp holders (temp kind for construction/remodeling) with 30 amp fuses in them also. Amazing that old house never burned down. It is still standing, still rented, untouched.

CT

Quote Originally Posted by nsula_country View Post
    When I was in college I was a super for my landlord. The "house" I lived in had been converted to 3 apartments. All common utilities and utilities were included in the rent. 1 gas 30 gal HW heater (set on nuclear), gas wall heaters (over sized), gas stoves.

The house originally did not have plumbing or electrical. I'd say the electrical was added in the 40's. It had the pre-romex with two tar covered wires wrapped in cellophane and covered with fiberglass. Un-fused 60 Amp service. 8 window units, dishwashers, electric space heaters ect. All wiring was 14 ga with 30 amp screw fuses installed, occasionally they would blow! Several expansion circuits were made out of pigtail lamp holders (temp kind for construction/remodeling) with 30 amp fuses in them also. Amazing that old house never burned down. It is still standing, still rented, untouched.

CT
    I bet that was asbestos, rather than fiberglass. The houses in the neighborhood I grew up in were wired with knob & tube. Much safer in some regards; if a squirrel chews through a wire, he only bites one conductor at a time. Larger rodents like raccoons can short across both wires, with spectacular results.
    Carpe Carp~ Seize the carp

Quote Originally Posted by fridgitator View Post
    I bet that was asbestos, rather than fiberglass. The houses in the neighborhood I grew up in were wired with knob & tube. Much safer in some regards; if a squirrel chews through a wire, he only bites one conductor at a time. Larger rodents like raccoons can short across both wires, with spectacular results.
    The knobs and tubes were still there, with wire, disconnected. But it was "upgraded" to the asbestos covered wiring!

CT

Voltage drop, what's that? All we have to do is complete the circuit.

I see this type of thing all the time. Usually in trailers. I give them a price to fix it and they decline most the time, then I fix it anyway. In SC litigation the "last" expert to touch it is liable. So I just fix it.

Good post.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12