+ Reply to Thread

Thread: building maintenance Technician

Post Likes

building maintenance Technician

While in school I met a guy who turned out to be a building maintenance supervisor. Since I was looking for a job, I asked him if they had any spots open. He told me to put my application in, so I did. I had 2 meetings with the guy at the building (which is a physical rehab/care facility). One of the meetings was an interview with the guy I know and the facility administrator. I was recently told that I was the number 1 candidate and that once background check and reference check were done I would meet again with the administrator about pay.

This building has a boiler and chiller, and a number of heat pumps for the individual rooms. It sounds like a great place to learn as I am without a lot of experience in this field. This would be my 2nd career with an electronic/electrical background.

My questions are: Is anyone here a building maintenance tech? If so, how do you like it ? The pay, I see that $14 per hr. is median pay for this type of position in my area according to internet search. My last job, hvac installer they paid me $12.50 hr. I think I should ask for at least that much.

I see that health insurance benefits don't start for 90 days. Is this normal these days? I guess I can get on my wife's policy for 90 days, but that is going to cost me money out of my pocket.

I guess I don't have much bargaining power here, since I am trying to get that magical 2-3 yrs experience that most jobs ask for.

Opinions, suggestions and comments appreciated.

Post Likes
    I started at $14 about nine years ago. It has moved up a little since then. Great learning experience. Rehab/Healthcare seems pretty steady in this economy. Once you learn all your equipment the job becomes pretty routine. Good luck!

Post Likes
    Not a building maint guy but I know alot of them. Some are good some are not. Some do the maint and call a pro when its broke, that's a good one. Others don't do maint and start letting smoke out when its broke, that's a bad one. It's a good job and you will decide if you'll be a good one or a bad one. However it will be a long climb to a higher paying HVAC career.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the replies guys!

This place I am going is already set to expand, another 80 units or something. With an aging population (I am not far behind) I think these type of facilities will keep being built.

I am thinking maybe get a building of my own some day. ha-ha one step at a time.

Post Likes
    I working as a building engineer currently and trying to make a jump to full time HVAC. The building I work on is a concert venue with quite a few units to work on from small reach ins and heat pumps to walk in reefers and a 60 ton package unit. It's definitely been a good experience but after a couple years it's starting to limit my career growth. I'm making almost $20/hr right now but I don't see that increasing much more. While I get to do as much work on the HVAC/R systems as I want most of the work is changing lightbulbs, unclogging toilets, and taking care of the other minor day to day operational issues. At least for the building I am in I consider this a job, not a career.

Post Likes
    Every job I have ever had the benefits didn't start for 90 days.

Post Likes
    I got the job ! I started last Monday. The pay is $13.00 hr., which I guess isn't too bad to start. The building has 112 heat pumps in total. These are all controlled through a DDC system that is accessed through a computer program (I think). It seems that there is a lot of non-hvac work there, but also a lot of work with the heat pumps and ice machines and reach ins. I think I can learn a lot here. From what I understand this is the premiere facility in the area for rehab/nursing care. So far the guys I have been working with have been very helpful.
    There is a lot of walking involved in checking out the different rooms for problems, maybe I will lose some weight

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by drkglass01 View Post
    I got the job ! I started last Monday. The pay is $13.00 hr., which I guess isn't too bad to start. The building has 112 heat pumps in total. These are all controlled through a DDC system that is accessed through a computer program (I think). It seems that there is a lot of non-hvac work there, but also a lot of work with the heat pumps and ice machines and reach ins. I think I can learn a lot here. From what I understand this is the premiere facility in the area for rehab/nursing care. So far the guys I have been working with have been very helpful.
    There is a lot of walking involved in checking out the different rooms for problems, maybe I will lose some weight
    congrats man! soak it up
    ®

Post Likes
    Any job is what you make of it. Most guys just want to punch a clock and go home. i've always tried to learn as much as I can. Because of that, I've done pretty well for myself and my family. Apply yourself and learn what you can, and other opportunities will present themselves.Good luck, and have fun in your new venture.

Post Likes
    Thanks guys ! I appreciate the encouragement

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in