Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello everyone

Hello everyone

I'm new to the HVAC industry, decided to try something different after retiring from the navy and I hope to learn from everyone's experience on here.
    Thanks in advance.

Hello everyone

Welcome. Get your post count up and apply for a Pro membership!

Welcome, from an ex-navy guy. 1979-1985. USS Mississippi. CGN-40.

Thanks Brent, I'm sure with all the questions I got it should take very long at all.

Thanks Nuclrchiller, I saw you ship some time ago in the boneyard in washington state. The nuc cruisers were a short lived program.

I saw a picture of that on the net a few years ago. It was only a floating hull from the main deck down, no superstructure at all. I understand that it was later scrapped. I searched on google maps and bing maps, and came up empty. Man, that's just sad! That was my home for four years. Slept there every night except for being on leave. And it's not just my ship. I went to bootcamp in San Diego (closed down), Navy Nuclear Power School in Orlando, FL ( base closed down, school moved), and Nuclear Prototype Training Unit in Idaho Falls, Id (training closed down, site currently used for low level waste storage). Suddenly I'm feeling a little older! So I take it you were stationed there?

I was stationed on the USS SIDES out of San Diego and we took it there after her decommissioning. Yeah the old NTC San Diego was high end houses and some military housing last time I was out that way.

I forgot to mention that even my my rating (or is that "rate"?) no longer exists. IC man, or Interior Communications Electrician. It was originally split out of the Electrician's Mate (EM) rating in, I think, the 1950's. It has since been combined back into EM. Or so I've heard. What was your rating? And what part of this industry are you in?

Quote Originally Posted by Nuclrchiller View Post
    Welcome, from an ex-navy guy. 1979-1985. USS Mississippi. CGN-40.
    You were stationed in Long Beach, I was there in 86 to 89.
    My name is TooCoolforschool and I am a chronic over charger.

I was a machinist mate which fadded away with steam plant propulsion.

Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    You were stationed in Long Beach, I was there in 86 to 89.
    The Mississippi was out of Norfolk, Va when I was there (1981-85). Are you saying it relocated to Long Beach? First I heard that. Are you saying MM's faded out with steam fading out? Never thought about that. Gas turbine seems to be favored now. Do Enginemen handle them? Steam was a big part of Nuclear in my day. From the steam generators back to the steam turbines, it was 1950's technology. The steam generators took the place of the boilers in a conventional steam plant.

My bad it was the Missouri and The New Jersey that was strationed in Long Beach they were not as old as the Mississippi but are ooc.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuclrchiller View Post
    The Mississippi was out of Norfolk, Va when I was there (1981-85). Are you saying it relocated to Long Beach? First I heard that. Are you saying MM's faded out with steam fading out? Never thought about that. Gas turbine seems to be favored now. Do Enginemen handle them? Steam was a big part of Nuclear in my day. From the steam generators back to the steam turbines, it was 1950's technology. The steam generators took the place of the boilers in a conventional steam plant.
    MM's are still around, they still use steam on the gator freighters, submarines and carriers. Its not nearly as large as it use to be. GSE's (gas turbine electrician) and GSM's (gas turbine mechanics) work on the gas turbine ships. Enginemen pretty much just work on Aux systems on the small ships since they did away with the diesel generators in favor of gas turbines. Electricians will end up becoming a much larger rate in the near future with "hybrid" ships in the works.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast