+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What to do??

Post Likes

What to do??

I'm 27 years old. I worked for a small residential heating and air company for 7 years. My boss promised me the moon for 4 of those 7 years and never delivered. My boss knew his stuff, but he wasn't the most honest and I didn't like the way he did certain things. But I kept my mouth shut, showed up to work on time, and handled my business. When I decided to go back to school, I gave him a months notice. Informing him that I was quitting and going back to school. He was furious. And made that last month miserable for me. I didn't deserve it, but I still kept my mouth shut because I didn't want to burn any bridges. But in his eyes, me going back to school was burning a bridge.
    But I'm almost done with school, and I want to start my own company. Just me, my tools, and my van.
    How should I go about doing this? Should I work for someone else for a little while and do some side work?
    I know it won't be easy.....but I'm willing to give it my all.

Thanks in advance, guys!

Post Likes
    Owning a buisiness of any kind is stressful especially at start up, you have to be emotionally ready for rollar coaster of emotions, difficult situations and continuos learning senarios. It's a steep trail up a long cliff that sometimes seems easy and other times seems impossible. But one day at a time. One dollar at a time.

Post Likes
    Your young man, you got lots of time in life to make a mistake or two, you already have experience under your belt (working for the man). You have returned to school and updated on the latest theory principles. Also, make sure you have a good instructor or other hvac resource out there that you can call if there is that slim chance you need a life line once in a while.

Nothing wrong with that scenario at all.

If I was in your shoes It would be no brainer, I would be doing my own thing as well. I know many will tell you not to take the chance or you don't know enough. I guess I was just raised in the old days, we always took the chance and were responsible to get what we wanted in life.

Heck I say grab a business license, Jump through whatever hurdles the state requires of you to obtain one and go for it. pass or fail at least then you can say you tried or succeeded. At least your proactive in doing what you want to.
    As I said, I would do the same. And when I myself hit that 7 year mark of field experience, I guarantee I will take the same chance.

Your much younger than myself, in this field your a few legs up already at your young age. by the time I got hvac experience of 7 years I will be 52 and set in my ways (I have always worked for myself in all phases of construction). I only wish I had the drive you do when I was 27. (I was still schooling and partying in them days).

I say go for it and all the more power to you.

Best of everything in your endeavor, as what your doing is living the dream.

Travel and work,

Post Likes
    Thanks guys. I appreciate the input. Like I said, I'll be done with school in May. Then moving about an hour and a half away (New Orleans). I'm ready for the challenge and ready to get back out into the field. I miss it like crazy. I honestly do.
    Good luck to you, HvacBry. And thanks again for the words of wisdom.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Willl517 View Post
    Thanks guys. I appreciate the input. Like I said, I'll be done with school in May. Then moving about an hour and a half away (New Orleans). I'm ready for the challenge and ready to get back out into the field. I miss it like crazy. I honestly do.
    Good luck to you, HvacBry. And thanks again for the words of wisdom.
    Talk to a guy on here Xceltech. He's in either Baton Rouge or NOLA. I remember seeing him putting up a post looking for workers. Take it from a guy who started his own thing on a teacher's salary and had to claw and scratch to get where I am, it is tough. If you were looking to start your own biz, I say work for someone and slowly buy your own tools, equipment and supplies. Then you will be much better prepared to start out.
    Every customer you take for granted today will be someone else's tomorrow.

Post Likes
    Thanks DLZ Dan. I'm glad I found this site. A lot of helpful people on here.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Willl517 View Post
    How should I go about doing this? Should I work for someone else for a little while and do some side work?
    I know it won't be easy.....but I'm willing to give it my all.

Thanks in advance, guys!

If you want to do right by a company, side work is a touchy thing. Usually if you work an in house job, side work is generally fine, yet, if you work for a service company, almost anything you do on the side competes with your day job. They tend to see your costumers as ones that they would have had. If you work in house for say an apartment complex, they may not object to you also doing side work.

Post Likes
    anybody standing in some one's way from obtaining education stay far from that person because that's mental slavery

Post Likes
    I'm working in New Orleans right now. People are always hiring around here, and it's about to get nice and hot. If you have plenty of $ saved up, I say jump in and start your own thing. If not, get on with a company so you can save some cash and make some contacts. Bobbycold mentioned working for an apt. complex...1st Lake is dying to find some ac maint. techs. The pay they are offering isn't good ($17/hr), but you get bennies, paid time off, and discounted rental. Probably only have to put in 40 hours a week with them (and probably not very hard hours), so you should still have time to start testing the water with your new company and not have to worry about pissing your boss off taking "their" business.

Post Likes
    Consult with a CPA before getting too far along. Your finances are going to change fairly drastically, and you'll want be prepared for what's ahead of you.

Also, be sure to look into incorporating your new business.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in