Smile Gas Furnace Question

Ive Been Working On Gas Furnaces For About A Year, Im From S Fla And It Is Mostly Heat Strps There, I Had A Call And The Gas Valve Wasnt Working Properly, It Would Click And Let The Pilot Stay Lit But Would Never Open The Furnace, It Had 24v Present, The Furnace Was About 20 Years Old, I Condemnded The Gas Valve,
    I Read Last Night In A Book That The Valve Gets Stuck Due To Sludge And By Taping It Sometime It Opens It, Has Anybody Run Into This And It There Any Way To Help A Stuck Gas Valve Besides Taping On It With A Screw Driver. Thank You

Not trying to be mean here but you don't even sound like someone that's been working on furnaces for a month much less a year. I wished I could help out if your in the business please apply for a Pro membership and we can help.

What do you mean by this?
    The Pilot Stay Lit But Would Never Open The Furnace,
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.” –Albert Einstein

“Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.”-Vernon Law

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteve View Post
    Ive Been Working On Gas Furnaces For About A Year, Im From S Fla And It Is Mostly Heat Strps There, I Had A Call And The Gas Valve Wasnt Working Properly, It Would Click And Let The Pilot Stay Lit But Would Never Open The Furnace, It Had 24v Present, The Furnace Was About 20 Years Old, I Condemnded The Gas Valve,
    I Read Last Night In A Book That The Valve Gets Stuck Due To Sludge And By Taping It Sometime It Opens It, Has Anybody Run Into This And It There Any Way To Help A Stuck Gas Valve Besides Taping On It With A Screw Driver. Thank You

My god...I thought I was reading another language...NC Steve welcome to the greatest Hvac discussion forum in the whole wide world...unfortunately questions of this nature (technical) can not be answered in the public areas of the forum. Apply for pro status and when/if approved we can help you in the pro forum section.

If you go un-sticking gas valves, can you promise that it won't do it again after you leave?

I think the best way to help a stuck gas valve is to have it replaced.

if it stuck closed how would you know it would not stick open???

Quote Originally Posted by t527ed View Post
    if it stuck closed how would you know it would not stick open???
    Ohh.... reminds me of a R/S GV new out of the box on a BDP force draft gaspak with IID. Installed and watched to light off. Tick, tick, tick, BOOM
    The GV was stuck open mechanically brand new! Had to grow mustache and a few eybrows back.

U done good -- for all the reasons stated --

having a house blow because of a gas leak is bad! worse is if adjacent houses blow because of leaks --
    harvest rainwater,make SHADE,R75/50/30= roof/wall/floor, use HVAC mastic,caulk all wall seams!

If it stuck once, it will stick again.

Have you registered for pro membership yet.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

An older service guy retired about three years back. A couple of us gave him a little ball pien hammer we spray painted it a gold - brass color. We told him it was his 'golden hammer'. What we didn't tell him was that it could have been the primary tool he needed all the years he worked here. His famous fix was to beat the offending part - pilot, valve, BASO, gas valve, you name it- that either fixed it or f@#$ed it up for good. I got to learn a lot following him afterward and the customer would say- "he took a screwdriver and hit this thing right here and it worked fine until now!" or something like that. A real nice and likeable guy, but...

Seriously, if you're Positive you have power to it and it doesn't work, replace it. There are no user serviceable parts in 99.9% of modern gas valves. Maybe a solenoid attached to a gas dryer valve or something like that, but that's an exception.
    Don't confuse me with facts, my mind is already made up.