heatpump defrost

I have a 2 month old heatpump, when it shifts into and out of defrost it makes a terrible noise sometimes you can hear it travel up the lineset in the wall. Spoke with company that did the install thinks it may be a sticking tx valve and to keep an eye on it and give him a call if it continued. My concern is any damage that may be occuring to the unit in the meantime. I had two of the same units installed and the other is much more quiet. Should I get a service tech now and not wait ?

I wouldn't think it would be too much to ask for the company that did the install to come and check it out.
    Their response of "thinking" it could be a stuck TXV and putting you in charge of monitoring the situation is simply lame.
    I would insist that they come out and address your concerns ASAP.

I agree with chillbillly. The installing contractor could show a little service after the sale attitude here. Ask them if there is a compressor "delay feature" on the defrost board. Some boards have it but it must be field selected.

Compressors can make quite a racket during initiation and termination of defrost. There could be a refrigerant level problem, or it could be inherit with your model.
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

HVAC Pro--obviously darwin never noticed the cat playing with the mouse.
    It's great to be alive and pumping oxygen!

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    HVAC Pro--obviously darwin never noticed the cat playing with the mouse.
    Okay, that wasn't nice. As far as I know cats aren't considered wild animals. And it's not nice to hijack a thread.
    Last edited by HVAC Pro; 01-30-2007 at 09:22 AM.
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain