Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

opinions: money vs peace of mind at work

I was offered a job at a different company for quite a bit more money and i told them today i would take it i gave my 2 weeks notice at my current job today. Every since i did that i have been having second thoughts. My current company treats me extremely well and i couldnt ask for a better work environment. There is absolutely zero stress where i am now and everyone gets along extremely well. They are a first class company and everyone there is a true professional. I pick up my work orders in the mornings and call in when im done and im left alone to do my job with no stress or drama.i have heard some bad things about the place i am supposed to be going to work for people say the owner is hard to work for and the guys dont get along with each other very well. Has anyone else been in this situation? I would like to hear everyones opinion on this. Money isnt everything and im not sure if i made the right decision.

"The wealthiest man can be a pauper at times, your richer by far with a satisfied mind." -Johnny Cash

it depends on what stage of life you are in. if your older , your house is paid for, the kids are fending for themselves and you have all the toys stay where your at. if your young and you have all the above in front of you go for the money. work is a four letter word. we do it for cash and cash is king.
    IV IV IX

use your head for something other than a hat rack.......Gerry

"Wealth" is a relative word... IMO not particularly measured in $$$. #3 above is something to think about.

If you really 'need' a few extra bucks... you can do some work for friends on the side... with the boss' permission.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Piece of mind over money any day.

A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush.
    The grass is not always greener.
    No matter where you go there you are.
    AND SO ON.
    Just look into yourself for the true awnser, or ask Fengshui.
    My name is TooCoolforschool and I am a chronic over charger.

I work for the money. I find happiness within myself. If the new gig is that bad you have a skill that is, if your good, in demand and can always move elsewhere.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

IMO, no amount of money is worth working for an ahole.
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    At a certain point in ones career, if one develops skills and excells at what one does, one does not need to work for an a$$hole. One can pick and choose who one works for. Always keep in contact with other techs you have worked with and never burn any bridges.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

im with one of the other posters, if you arent living paycheck to paycheck then being happy is most important. Im kinda in the same situation. being offered other places to work for more money but honestly im at the point where an extra 5 bucks an hour isnt worth losing the peace of mind. im treated well where im at and most of my accounts treat me like a rock star. when i get bored or find that i can do better things somewhere else then i will go.
    Experience
    Is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

A positive attidude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    Agreed.

Conversely, I'd been told bad things about my current employer, and I couldn't be happier now.
    I asked my then future boss about the rumors I heard and he responded "I bet the people you heard that stuff from no longer work here"
    Sour grapes methinks.

If the current employer won't match the offer then they obviously don't think as highly of you as you do them. It's business. There is value in peace for sure but if that value won't pay for a new boat then what good is it. I can sweep floors at Walmart and have 0 stress. I chose this trade to make good money and support my family with a certain level lifestyle. Take the money. If you find the environment is intolerable then go somewhere else or back where you were.

Peace of mind any day .
    I love overtime I just hate working for it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast