The Day That TV News Died

"The perfect Totalitarian State is one where the political bosses, and their army of managers, control a population of slaves, who do not have to be coerced, because they love their servitude"

Agree.

However, I put the start of the decline squarly on the shoulders of one Walter Cronkite. The so-called "most trusted man in America" was the very first to editorialize instead of report.

He was a master at it too. A raised eyebrow here, a light smirk there.

That's when news became "showbusiness".
    "Social networking" is an oxymoron.

I was watching a documentary the other day , it was basically saying the same thing. One part of the documentary focused on a reporter who exposed working conditions at a Nike factory in another country. Well, do to corporate pressure from Nike threatening to pull its ads on CBS who was covering the Olympics that year, CBS caved and buried the story. Another story was how so called reporters dont ask government officials tough questions because they know if they do they wont be invited to future press conferences. Money is always going to be the root of what goes on. But the public bears a lot of the blame. Many dont want to know or can handle the truth. They prefer fluff over blood.

My personal favorite is when during the actual news, stations like FOX will give you American Idol clips and updates. Other stations do similar crap. How the F is that news?

Quote Originally Posted by newoldtech View Post
    I was watching a documentary the other day , it was basically saying the same thing. One part of the documentary focused on a reporter who exposed working conditions at a Nike factory in another country. Well, do to corporate pressure from Nike threatening to pull its ads on CBS who was covering the Olympics that year, CBS caved and buried the story. Another story was how so called reporters dont ask government officials tough questions because they know if they do they wont be invited to future press conferences. Money is always going to be the root of what goes on. But the public bears a lot of the blame. Many dont want to know or can handle the truth. They prefer fluff over blood.

My personal favorite is when during the actual news, stations like FOX will give you American Idol clips and updates. Other stations do similar crap. How the F is that news?

Remember Helen Thomas, one of the last reporters that actually asked though question. they made here an example.

MSM reporters today have no XXXXX, they are not reporters any longer, just news readers.

I get my news from alternate sources who are not bought and paid for by corporations.

Roy
    "The perfect Totalitarian State is one where the political bosses, and their army of managers, control a population of slaves, who do not have to be coerced, because they love their servitude"

I only watch the local news and dont watch very much of that as I use google news...and read the local paper.
    YOU SHALL REAP WHAT YOU HAVE _______ SOWN

Quote Originally Posted by royc View Post
    Remember Helen Thomas, one of the last reporters that actually asked though question. they made here an example.

MSM reporters today have no XXXXX, they are not reporters any longer, just news readers.

I get my news from alternate sources who are not bought and paid for by corporations.

Roy
    I'm not sure who you can trust less, corporations or government?
    I've been trying to expand my horizons of late. I try and watch all different perspectives. Left wing, right wing, progressive, I even watch Al jazerra on occasion. I find it all interesting. From what I see they all have an agenda and report on things that fit that agenda. I think "the truth" is some where in between it all. Corporations and government in essence are just people and when it comes to people it usually comes down to money, power and what they perceive is in their own best interests and damn anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by newoldtech View Post
    I'm not sure who you can trust less, corporations or government?
    I've been trying to expand my horizons of late. I try and watch all different perspectives. Left wing, right wing, progressive, I even watch Al jazerra on occasion. I find it all interesting. From what I see they all have an agenda and report on things that fit that agenda. I think "the truth" is some where in between it all. Corporations and government in essence are just people and when it comes to people it usually comes down to money, power and what they perceive is in their own best interests and damn anyone else.
    Can you actually find a difference between government and corporations? You are right. It all comes down to people, its just the people who get to the top of organizations like government or corporations tend to be the ones that would sell their mother for power.