Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SEIDexter View Post
    Am I reading your statement incorrectly or are your two last sentences contradicting each other?
    I probably typed it wrong. What I I mean is thinking all drains have to be ran to gutter or roof drain is absurd. However if you want to do that there is nothing wrong with that, well except maybe getting a slum lord to pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by RDorr92788 View Post
    In my area they will nail us if we don't drain off the roof.it also has to drain into dirt and cannot cross concrete. several times we had to drill thru concrete to pass.
    Seriously? This is crazy. What's wrong with the p-trap just dumping on to the roof? Seems like an absurd amount of waste. What is the rational behind this?

I'm not sure why off the roof, but the concrete is because they say it causes slippery conditions

That is still silly...if it dumps on to the roof, then it'll make its way to the roof drain system. Ah well, who knew. I'm thankful I don't have to worry about that in the frozen north.

my coworker tried arguing that rainspouts cross the concrete. they didnt care

Quote Originally Posted by RDorr92788 View Post
    my coworker tried arguing that rainspouts cross the concrete. they didnt care
    I guess AC run-off is magically more hazardous and slippery than plain-old roof run-off. Must be all those nasty HFC and POE oils that leak out of the system.

Quote Originally Posted by timtanguay View Post
    I guess AC run-off is magically more hazardous and slippery than plain-old roof run-off. Must be all those nasty HFC and POE oils that leak out of the system.
    HaHa

Quote Originally Posted by Freightshaker View Post
    You must be getting old. I do the electric slide through condensate slime. It helps me go unit to unit faster to tape up capacitors, jam cig butts in contactors, and check suction lines for beer can cold while simultaneously unhooking economizers.
    I've never done that "cigarette butts jammed in contactors" thing. Can you elaborate on that? I might learn a new trick today...

Quote Originally Posted by hvac wiz 79 View Post
    I was once told by a co-worker about a guy who would remove the trap and drink the water out of it.
    I'm sure that "drink of water" required some mild chewing - about like what's required for over-cooked boiled okra.

That trap has been reused. Either the roofer did it, or the unit has been replaced and the "installer" used the old trap.
    Look at the tar stripe on the bottom of the P... this trap was installed properly at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by SEIDexter View Post
    I often see that too where they go through a lot of trouble and pvc material of piping an elaborate draining system on the roof to expel the water into a rain drain or close to it. I often scratch my head of what's the point?
    A lot of times this is done to prevent the growth of plants on a roof that is tar and gravel or just has low spots that hold water. I can't tell you how many small trees I have found growing next to units that were not drained properly and just let the water fall on the roof. The roots will find their way through the roofing material.

Quote Originally Posted by ECtofix View Post
    I've never done that "cigarette butts jammed in contactors" thing. Can you elaborate on that? I might learn a new trick today...
    If you have a pesky safety dropping out a contactor, just jam one in the hole so it won't shut off. Remember to be safe

One of the dumbest things I've seen was at a school 20+ rtu's with p traps that just dropped into pans placed underneath them which eventually overflow onto the roof anyway.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast