Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Service manual

All things considered it gets pretty aggravating some of replies the OP has been given, cap tube system is charged by SH , I do use SC as a diagnostic tool on charging cap systems and using compressor temp and hot gas line temps while charging cap tube systems.... It all comes into play, if you charge solely by data tag most of the time I will bet you will have a hand in killing the compressor or burning up oil creating residue on inner condenser walls and lending a hand in plugging up the cap tube.... Ah the hell with it, if people did their jobs properly I'd be out of work so keep on keepin on.....

People we chose this line of profession, why not do it properly and not do more harm than good. Anyways PT chart and a good thermometer and accurate set of gauges and a scale so ya know how much to charge for your refrigerant....

Ok, I'm done with my rant.... Just please start giving better advise I know this isn't the pro section so going in depth on charging we won't go, but the data tag is not the end all be all of charging , and once again ya don't charge to amps
    Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is that one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, well, the sky's the limit!

If it doesn't have a receiver, than SC is always the way to go imo. If it does and is obviously a txv system. Fill the sight glass and shoot for your SH. as long as you get a full column of liquid to that valve and your SH is dead on, you are good to go.

Id never charge by amp draw. that is just silly. Compressor age, wear and tear, load current, time of cycle. too many viarables to consider when taking an amp draw for it to be an 'accurate' charging method. it'll give u ball park in some cases, sure, but not a 'go to' way of doing it..

The way I read the problem was a dirty unit with no label saying how much gas it holds and system was empty. What should the amperage be on a cold evacuated system that needs an unknown amount of refrigerant. Of course you would be watching operating pressures,line temperatures, etc. If you let the amps climb up to FLA on start up with no run time to check it out your compressor won't last. If all info doesn't line up as your charging would you load up compressor past rated amps? Checked my previous message saw I typed RLA instead of FLA. Data entry is not my specialty. Sorry.

Neil- The only way I'm checking amp draw on a compressor is if there are no taps and shell is blazing hot, so that I can see if the compressor is doing any work ( under a load ) or not other than that pressures and temps are the way to go.

Also that compressor the OP was talking about if it was not a Tecumseh, there would be letters and numbers stamped into the compressor that would mean nothing to you or anyone else except for manufacturer....

RLA. Compressors. FLA. motors. What's your point on that. Both mean the same thing! You still don't set your charge using them......

Hope this helps...
    Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is that one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, well, the sky's the limit!

Well we really can't help him on the charge without knowing pressures and temps etc. More data is needed.

A later reply said it was a tecumseh in a 2 door reach in prep table. Why are you guys so set against checking amps? I try and get as much info as possible. Had a small cooler where the problem was low voltage. A fast amp check led to a voltage check which led to a faulty breaker etc. Amp draw isn't the primary source of info but it can indicate when the unit is reaching the max charge without shutting it off then restart with overcharge.

Charging by amps doesn't work with these small critically charged systems. By the time you put enough gas in it to noticeably affect the amp draw, you are already overcharged.

Quote Originally Posted by K_Neil View Post
    A later reply said it was a tecumseh in a 2 door reach in prep table. Why are you guys so set against checking amps? I try and get as much info as possible. Had a small cooler where the problem was low voltage. A fast amp check led to a voltage check which led to a faulty breaker etc. Amp draw isn't the primary source of info but it can indicate when the unit is reaching the max charge without shutting it off then restart with overcharge.
    Not against checking amps on a compressor, you just dont charge to them. I check amps if I have an electrical problem with the compressor or seting up a CPR valve other then that its not necessary except for diagnostic purposes....

As long as you know what refrigerant is in the system all you need to charge is a PT chart, thermometer and an accurate set of gauges and notice I didn't type in amp probe..... SH and SC and you are all set.

Hope that helps...

Quote Originally Posted by skpkey9 View Post
    Not against checking amps on a compressor, you just dont charge to them. I check amps if I have an electrical problem with the compressor or seting up a CPR valve other then that its not necessary except for diagnostic purposes....

As long as you know what refrigerant is in the system all you need to charge is a PT chart, thermometer and an accurate set of gauges and notice I didn't type in amp probe..... SH and SC and you are all set.

Hope that helps...
    Gotta disagree with you on the SH and SC and your all set thing. SH almost useless for charging on a hot cap tube box. SC not alot of help with a receiver

I agree with Tommy. These critically charged cap systems have to be weighed in or you better have a sixth sense about you to know when it's right. Very little room for error. In this situation I'd shoot for about a 16* evap delta T. (Evap exit air minus vapor temp). Most important thing is to not allow sweat back to the compressor.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy knocker View Post
    Gotta disagree with you on the SH and SC and your all set thing. SH almost useless for charging on a hot cap tube box. SC not alot of help with a receiver
    There are ways around that if you know what you are doing and as I stated before that should only be talked about in the pro section, and also keep in mind we are also talking about the OPs cap system no one said anything about a receiver still that being said SC can still be utilized to a point ( on a receiver ) SC is what it is but you will still have some , in order to confirm a solid column of liquid to the TEV... As for the hot box thing like I said there are ways around that in charging without a data tag and once you are within 5* of design temp then you finish up with SH... But also keep in mind on a hot cap box you can use SC....

You can disagree all ya want but it is what it is....

Hope this helps

Hydra - what are you talking about not to have sweat back to the compressor....I think ya need to rethink things abit...on that statement

Quote Originally Posted by skpkey9 View Post
    There are ways around that if you know what you are doing and as I stated before that should only be talked about in the pro section, and also keep in mind we are also talking about the OPs cap system no one said anything about a receiver still that being said SC can still be utilized to a point ( on a receiver ) SC is what it is but you will still have some , in order to confirm a solid column of liquid to the TEV... As for the hot box thing like I said there are ways around that in charging without a data tag and once you are within 5* of design temp then you finish up with SH... But also keep in mind on a hot cap box you can use SC....

You can disagree all ya want but it is what it is....

Hope this helps
    Ok. Lets back up. My original post was in response to someone saying data plate is usually wrong and they rarely use it. Then someone said SH/SC is all ya need. Now I understand what you mean but I disagree with what you said. I think the advice you are giving is not in the best intrest of the OP or the others who may be trolling through.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast