Another heat pump question

What would cause ice to form on the fan blades of the outdoor unit in the heating mode? Unit is not being dripped on from overhead. There are no exhaust vents nearby. It is a 6 year old Bryant that has done this since day one. It only happens a couple times a year and only when it rains or snows. It ends up throwing the blade out of balance and the unit shakes like a cat sh!tt!ng tacks. The HO has to pull the disconnect and melt the ice with a hair dryer. There have been no other problems with the unit. Original fan and blade. I have not seen this unit. The owner is one of my students grandfather. Thanks for any insight.
    A Veteran is a person, who at some point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for payment up to and including their life.
    Gene Castagnetti-Director of the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Hawaii

Perhaps the defrost mode is producing steam/water vapors that rise up across the blades then the system goes out of defrost which freezes the moisture to the blades...keeping in mind during defrost the coil get hot enought to melt the ice but the fan is already cold and stays that way through defrost.

I'd go searching into a too short, too long defrost mode myself.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Just when it rains or snows... Suggest waxing the fan blades or a spray on teflon. Guessing the rain is just above freezing and the blades will be several degrees cooler in heating mode.Doesn't take much ice build up to throw them off balance.

I have had the same problem with the XP17 lennox heat pumps during snow and ice or cold rain at near freezing temps the fan blades were accumulating ice sometimes even freezing to the shroud is the defrost termination temp adjustable on that model our solution was to change the termination temp from 50 to 80 degrees it seems to have taken care of the problem on those units we just got alot of snow and havent had a call on any since we made the change

Quote Originally Posted by doc havoc View Post
    What would cause ice to form on the fan blades of the outdoor unit in the heating mode? Unit is not being dripped on from overhead. There are no exhaust vents nearby. It is a 6 year old Bryant that has done this since day one. It only happens a couple times a year and only when it rains or snows. It ends up throwing the blade out of balance and the unit shakes like a cat sh!tt!ng tacks. The HO has to pull the disconnect and melt the ice with a hair dryer. There have been no other problems with the unit. Original fan and blade. I have not seen this unit. The owner is one of my students grandfather. Thanks for any insight.
    I've had this happen on 3 different units on new installations.

All 3 times, were heat pump/gas furnace installs.
    All 3 times, we had snow/freezing rain at some point during the installations.

Go to startup the units, they rocked like crazy, had to knock off the ice.

Something is preventing that unit from running for a long enough period of time to allow the snow to thaw/freeze, or long enough to have freezing rain stick to it.

Tell me they have a oil/gas furnace and are using duel fuel also.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

What unit?

I, too, have the plastic blade freeze up on Lennox units.

The accumulation is on the shroud mostly and the noise is like a woodpecker 6" from your head.

Lennox revamped their boards to cycle the fan for a time if off more than a certain time below a certain temp.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

It is a Bryant heat pump. Not sure what the air handler is. I'll get back on that. As mentioned, I have not seen the job. This is one of my students grandparents equipment and it has done this since day one. The original installer has not been able to figure it out, although, I have no idea what has been tried. I'll ask some more questions and get back to you all. Thanks!
    A Veteran is a person, who at some point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for payment up to and including their life.
    Gene Castagnetti-Director of the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Hawaii

I like the idea of waxing the cond fan blades.

I'd expect that the unit is in an exposed area, that is getting enough wind to prevent the warm air of the defrosting coil from sticking around in the cond unit. That would keep the Cond Fan blade below freezing and allow the steam from the defrosting coil to condense onto the Cond Fan Blade. Given enough defrost cycles, the Cond Fan Blade could lose part of the accumalated ice, or break off a piece. Causing the out of balance Cond Fan Blade.

So waxing the Cond Fan Blade may keep the condensation from accumalating or atleast cause the ice to fall off before it accumalated to much to matter.