Thread: mitsubishi mini split

Post Likes

mitsubishi mini split

Is it worth the price to go to the hyper heat models on the Mitsubishi ductless heat pumps (PKA/PUZ) vs the regular models (MSZ/MUZ) heat pump in the cold climates....Buffalo right on the lake. It looks like they are both supposed to work down to 0F. Huge price difference. Is it a working issue or an efficiency issue.

Post Likes
    In cold climates, absolutely... unless you back-up heat is natural gas, such as a boiler.

It's a matter of low tempreature capacity. The direct efficincy is usually lower... but when you factor in reduced heat strip use, it's a pretty big savings.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    In cold climates, absolutely... unless you back-up heat is natural gas, such as a boiler.

It's a matter of low tempreature capacity. The direct efficincy is usually lower... but when you factor in reduced heat strip use, it's a pretty big savings.

Thanks so much. It looks to me like the Mitsubishi is the only one with this capacity, when compared to other brands as well. Guess you gotta pay if you want to be comfortable.

Post Likes
    Hyperheat units are made in the M series and are cheaper than the P series models. You are looking for the MUZ-FE model. I am located in Rochester and you will want a hyperheat unit. You will also want to have a cold weather kit installed. I have installed tons if these units and have yet to have a disappointed customer. If you are looking for Internet access to the unit make sure you use a -8 indoor unit.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hereigo View Post
    Thanks so much. It looks to me like the Mitsubishi is the only one with this capacity, when compared to other brands as well. Guess you gotta pay if you want to be comfortable.
    Is not a mini split, but the carrier greenspeed functions similarly at low temps. I falsified has a video and essentially over speeds the compressor for higher than nominal capacity at lower temps.

Sent from my SGPT12 using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    Thanks Kangaroogod. I cannot figure out what the difference between the MUZ-FE and the PUZ models other than the price. Is the PUZ meant to be more efficient at the extremes?

Post Likes
    Thanks Motoguy. Big box addition on a slab with tons of windows in which it is nearly impossible to run ductwork other than over the 20ft high ceiling in minimal roof space. Ductless seems to be the way to go, though I'm a little nervous about it and was surprised at the cost of getting them installed.

Post Likes
    Costs seems to be pretty comparable to conventional systems, with the mini split equipment costing more, but the installation of the conventional costing a little. Do you have natural gas to your house? A heat pump in your climate will still cost quite a bit more to operate than a HE natural gas furnace or boiler. IF you have natural gas, with high ceilings, if you desing in good shade on the eaves and use good windows, you might not need AC in your climate. You could do infloor radiant heat using a small combi boiler. That's the best form of heating. Another option for gas is a direct vent fireplace, then a basic AC only mini split for your few weeks of summer.

Post Likes
    The efficiencies are essentially the same. The P series (professional) is generally used in commercial applications and larger spaces. The controls are more commercial oriented and the units have some more bells and whistles that typically residential does not need. Tell me about the application. How many square feet are you looking to heat/cool? What was the heat gain/loss calculation that your contractor Performed? Is this (1) open room or do you have multiple rooms?

Post Likes
    One large room 300 sq ft with 20 ft ceilings, The lakeside wall and 1/2 on another wall with ceiling to floor windows, double pane from the 90's It essentially has no other heat except at the end closest to the main house (so not the cold area) has a gas fireplace. West facing so in the summer it is also very hot. It will be my main living area, so I would like it comfortable. The contractors who sell Panasonic and Fujitsu came up with 20,000 and 22,500 BTU I was concerned that they may not function well enough in the dead of winter so I found someone who works with the Mitsubishi products. He felt that I'd be cutting it close and better to go bigger. He recommended 24,000 which is only offered in the P series. I admit his company does do more commercial HVAC than the other 2, but has a good reputation (Angie's list with lots of reviews). Am I being oversold?

Post Likes
    I would personally get an accurate heat loss. The 18k m series is 21,600btu @ 17degrees.. Pretty close. Heck if you left some lights on you could make up the difference

Post Likes
    This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 03-31-2013 at 08:17 AM. Reason: non AOP member

Post Likes
    mmj614

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in