Goodman HP sounds like airplane in defrost

CPLE24-1C

I've read long ago about units sounding like this , and think it was typically normal

But I thought I'd make sure

Its my dads house he just purchased , and he says it sounds like a jet landing when going into defrost

Works fine otherwise

If the system isn't equipt with quiet shift....I would add the relays to allow the ODU to shut down during switchover to defrost.

I checked your profile and found no email. Email or PM me and I will send you a step by step wiring diagram to install the proper relays for quiet shift.

Brent, I would like to see those diagrams. Email in my profile. Thanks
    A Veteran is a person, who at some point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for payment up to and including their life.
    Gene Castagnetti-Director of the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Hawaii

Just sent it Doc.

Brent, I would also like to see those diagrams. Email in my profile. Thank You

Just sent Augie.

Thanks Brent! And thanks to Rundawg!
    A Veteran is a person, who at some point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for payment up to and including their life.
    Gene Castagnetti-Director of the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Hawaii

Before changing the defrost to a soft start on that unit I would want to be 100% sure the RV is causing a problem during defrost & not the termination stat causing the head to go too high. That is an older 10 SEER & I'm pretty sure with a recip compressor & no factory hard start components. Of course the hard start can be easily added but I would manually shift the unit into defrost by shutting off the power to the condenser, jumping the RV into cooling mode & unplugging the fan & then putting the power back to it real fast just like it would happen on a soft defrost cycle. That would confirm whether the soft start defrost would solve your problem or not.
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    An engineer designs what he would never work on.
    A technician works on what he would never design.