+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heat pump filter/drier question

Post Likes

Heat pump filter/drier question

If a heat pump utilizes a single capillary tube for metering to both coils, would 2 filter/driers be required? I would assume you would need one at each end of the cap tube with a bypass on each filter/drier.
    Wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.

In your darkest hour, when the demons come, call on me brother and we shall fight them together.

A Veteran is a person, who at some point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for payment up to and including their life.
    Gene Castagnetti-Director of the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Hawaii

Post Likes
    Wouldst it be impossible to size the single cap tube for proper pressure in heat and cool?

Post Likes
    One biflow drier in the liquid line should be all you need

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by SBKold View Post
    Wouldst it be impossible to size the single cap tube for proper pressure in heat and cool?
    I would tend to agree with you because you'd be using less of a charge in heat mode.
    Doug

Post Likes
    Here's the deal. I'm designing a heat pump that has a manually operated valves for the RV. Trying to keep it as simple and inexpensive (value engineering) as possible. I was thinking if I used 2 coils of the same size with a cap tube in between them it would make the concept of reverse flow easy to understand. It will be a fractional horsepower compressor from a Coke machine. Maybe I should just use 2 cap tubes, each with a filter/drier and check valves?

In your darkest hour, when the demons come, call on me brother and we shall fight them together.

A Veteran is a person, who at some point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for payment up to and including their life.
    Gene Castagnetti-Director of the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Hawaii

Post Likes
    Yes u would need two driers if u only have one cap tube
    But single cap tube theory will not work
    Cause indoor and out door don't have the same load.

I'm not sure where would u put ur manual change ove reversing valve?
    Fractional HP will not work
    Not enough btu capacity

Post Likes
    With a single cap tube(which I don't think it would be possible), you would have to use a bi-flow filter as their wouldn't be any check valves and you would only have one path for the liquid

Post Likes
    Shaka, all I'm trying to accomplish with this "test" model is theory reinforcement. A fractional hp compressor will do absolutely fine. All I'm hoping for is a cold coil and a warm coil. Not really desiring great amounts of heat transfer. I did this drawing in Paint. Let's see if it will work. By closing one of the valves in the discharge line and one of the valves in the suction line, I should be able to manually control the direction of flow.
    Name:  Manual heat pump.png
Views: 536
Size:  10.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by doc havoc; 03-27-2013 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Changed diagram to reflect closed valves.

Post Likes
    looks good to me doc.

put 2 biflow driers on either side of tube or just even strainers since its just a model.

Post Likes
    My bad
    It's a learning apparatus
    In that case it looks good

Why not just use a real RV
    So they can understand it on the bench.
    If u ask me those shut off valve cost more that RV.

Post Likes
    Just use one drier and add it onto discharge right after compressor. York did it for years.

Post Likes
    Sort of like a small condensing unit and evap. I always tell the customer to think of a window AC turns around.

Quote Originally Posted by doc havoc View Post
    Shaka, all I'm trying to accomplish with this "test" model is theory reinforcement. A fractional hp compressor will do absolutely fine. All I'm hoping for is a cold coil and a warm coil. Not really desiring great amounts of heat transfer. I did this drawing in Paint. Let's see if it will work. By closing one of the valves in the discharge line and one of the valves in the suction line, I should be able to manually control the direction of flow.
    Name:  Manual heat pump.png
Views: 536
Size:  10.1 KB

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gravity View Post
    Just use one drier and add it onto discharge right after compressor. York did it for years.
    Just make sure its a quality solid core one from sporlan though!

Not a bad idea though....then just use a couple strainers at the cap tube. Guess the only downside is the strainers will release any debris whenever it switches.

Post Likes

I did not know they used drier on discharge line
    It seems like repeated pulsation will break it down.
    I guess it would also act like a muffler the same time.

Post Likes
    won't the heat of the discharge gas prevent it from trapping and holding any moisture?

Post Likes
    If it's purged with nitrogen and evacuated well enough, the amount of moisture left in the system should be negligible?

I have cut-away reversing valves and functioning heat pumps in the lab for actual experience. Not all people learn the same way. I figure, the more options I can give them, the better off they will be.

While the individual valves are probably more expensive than a reversing valve, I happen to have enough of them laying around to make this work.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by SBKold View Post
    Just make sure its a quality solid core one from sporlan though!

Not a bad idea though....then just use a couple strainers at the cap tube. Guess the only downside is the strainers will release any debris whenever it switches.
    ^^^what he said

Post Likes
    McQuay's cap tube heat pumps have only a strainer at the capillary connection. If you really want a filter drier, install a suction drier before the comp. With nothing to clean it will dry the system and not have to be removed.

Post Likes
    why dont you just use a biflow txv? like they do on majority of wshp's and install biflow drier on liqiud line in cooling thats what trane used to do if you use single cap tube you could end up with a lot of coiled up copper tube.I believe it was lennox years ago(like 30)that they had systems like that but there was a lot of coiled copper in the condenser on split systems that were close to each other

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chillerout1 View Post
    why dont you just use a biflow txv? like they do on majority of wshp's and install biflow drier on liqiud line in cooling thats what trane used to do if you use single cap tube you could end up with a lot of coiled up copper tube.I believe it was lennox years ago(like 30)that they had systems like that but there was a lot of coiled copper in the condenser on split systems that were close to each other
    Trying to build this with stuff we have laying around the shop. We have lots of cap tube, but not so many TXV's. Especially biflow TXV's. Remember, this is a fractional horsepower system. It will be using a 1/3 HP compressor from a Coca Cola machine along with two evaporator coils from similar Coke machines. The cap tube won't be much longer than probably 8 feet (depending on the I.D. of the tubing).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in