Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 03-26-2013 at 07:11 PM. Reason: non AOP member

klee7013

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Go with your gut feeling. We have had 3 large companies more than 6 employees go under in my area in the last 3 years. I'm one of those 1 man truck operations (really 2 but for the sake of argument) and a lot of their customers call me for service. My rule is my equipment customer no heat calls are serviced first, the others are taken in order after the fact. If a small operation grows to a point where they can't keep up on a regular basis, they more than likely will expand or limit their clientele. Don't over think your decision
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

i find that generaly a small operation does better work than the big boys .
    We really need change now

I grow up working with my father in which only ran 4 trucks tops. Small operation in which I can say my father valued each customer as a friend. When he retired back he called every customer and told them what was going on and other contractors that could do the warranty work if needed.

Fast forward to now and I work for a company that has roughly 6 a/c techs and pride myself on still doing what I learned from my father take care of the customers and they will take care of you.

As for size of any company big or small in this day in time any company could go out of bussiness while my current company is going strong with no problems still you have to wonder what if they closed?

So my advice would be along with others go with your gut and just make sure whatever equipment is installed can be warranted by other contractors in case this where to happen. That way you are covered in case company closes the doors. That another company can still warranty parts in the future if needed. The only out of pocket expense would be labor.

If you choose to get extended warranty talk with the contractor about what if they were to close whould the warranty still be good for another contractor that installs same equipment. I can't speak for all manfactors but Trane extended warranty is purchased through them and another Trane dealer can warranty parts and labor if purchased through them. I speak from expersinse have done a lot of warranty work with Trane installed systems for customers who original installer has closed or that they are not happy with.

Duck, stupid off subject question, but why didn't you take over your father's business when he retired?

Quote Originally Posted by wahoo View Post
    Duck, stupid off subject question, but why didn't you take over your father's business when he retired?
    Not a stupid question at all as I get asked that all the time. At the point my father retired, I was training to be energy rater for the state of Louisiana and went on to work with LA DNR as ass. Rater. My passion has always been energy efficiently so at that point he retired I choose to stay with energy ratings.

Fast forward after 7 great years and good $$$ doing so the main program that I worked with had major changes and effected our work load. It was decreasing and the $$$ was not there to keep me doing it. So I choose to go back to go into hvac as service manger and sales rep.

Hvac was always my strong area when doing energy audits for customers and I can say I owe a lot to my old boss who took me under his wing and taught me a lot. Plus I learned the proper way to do things for ductwork sizing, system sizing etc... As when I attended hvac school I was taught all the wrong ways to do things. Example 500 square foot per ton, 8" flex drop Will deliver 200 cfm, etc.... I could go on for days with that subject.

Also I have always been independent being a only child. So I wanted to make my own name in our bussiness and not ride on the coat tails of my father who again was a great man. He understood why I did what I did and funny enough he did the same thing as he grow up on a farm but wanted to something else so choose hvac. At this point in my life I am not even thinking about opening a new hvac business although I have been asked by serval techs that work with me why not? I just say their are too many hvac companies as it is now and I enjoy what I do and who I work for.

I have one truck, forty years inthe business and never advertised. All word of mouth. I hold license and I fix the problem and I don't want an unhappy customer. I reciprocate with a few other "one truck" owners and my customers are taken care of in one day. I hate paperwork, I like a well tuned machine.

One truck owners know their customer and probably remember, in their head, the brand and how much junk is in your attic.

No different then picking a doctor- A large practice or rely on single physician practice.

We are a small operation, family owned and operated. We have been around since 1973 and only have 4 trucks on the road. My dad started this company and I just got my mechanical license. We don't do heavy advertising but just our name in the phone book. 99% of our business is word of mouth. Based on surveys we started doing about 5 years ago, we still maintain a 100% referral rating.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12