Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by EEAllen View Post
    it's a very very rare case, even if the lines are not properly secured to the wall or other stuff around, the vibration shouldn't be strong enough to cause such an abrasion from over time.
    I strongly disagree! I had THREE rubthroughs last week on different condensing units (main piping), and TWO pressure control lines rubbed through. Yesterday I found a Lennox L-series where the discharge line from stage one compressor rubbed through on the tail of the crankcase heater worm clamp from the stage 2 compressor. I also had an evap fan wire in a unit cooler that had rubbed through and shorted.

Quote Originally Posted by MicahWes View Post
    I strongly disagree! I had THREE rubthroughs last week on different condensing units (main piping), and TWO pressure control lines rubbed through. Yesterday I found a Lennox L-series where the discharge line from stage one compressor rubbed through on the tail of the crankcase heater worm clamp from the stage 2 compressor. I also had an evap fan wire in a unit cooler that had rubbed through and shorted.
    If you read the rest of the post you quoted, it appears he doesn't like to pull vacuums either
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Quote Originally Posted by EEAllen View Post
    it's a very very rare case, even if the lines are not properly secured to the wall or other stuff around, the vibration shouldn't be strong enough to cause such an abrasion from over time. I would say the lines they used when it was installed were already damage in that portion, and with overtime abrasion, it rubbed out a hole. But yea for better result, I would cut it, although that takes alot more time when you have to vacuum, and recharge the system
    :0

Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    OP, It's common where linesets are not properly secured. Many times when the LLS energizes, the initial jolt of refrigerant going thru the line will cause a vibration.Also common when installers use use precharged linesets and stack the leftover coils on the roofs, on top of the box, or in the celing.
    Yep, seen precharged line sets just hanging still coiled above ceiling, coiled line rubbing against itself.

Yep see that alot...sometimes not easy to find..

Quote Originally Posted by coolerguy View Post
    Yep see that alot...sometimes not easy to find..
    Yup... like the lineset I had in a Jim 'n Nick's, suspended between top of W/I and roof of building (the attic) in a coil - accessible ONLY by ladder through the ONLY possible ceiling tile that could get me there - above another W/I's door they could only NOT use at 6am - an hour before the crew came in.
    Once up there, access required traversing, ducking & crawling by flashlight through something worse than a typical attic for about 30'.

Got to the coiled & dangling copper tubing of a system installed only a month ago, to find the lineset virtually rubbed right through each other.

I (or my company) didn't do it.

That lineset was worthy of a Wall of Shame post.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12