+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Leaking Walk-in Cooler

Post Likes

Leaking Walk-in Cooler

Went to a service call where the customer complained about their walk-in cooler not cooling. Upon arrival, hooked up gauges and noted very low pressures. Furthermore, I could hear a tiny hissing noise coming from somewhere behind the compressor along the back wall. I finally found this on the 1/4" liquid line (against the wall)...not quite sure how this would happen?

Name:  Pipe leak.jpg
Views: 1058
Size:  13.8 KB

Anyways, cut out the section of copper and brazed connection...pressurized with nitro, checked for leaks, evacuated and charged...problem solved.

Post Likes
    Vibration and abrasion.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Vibration and abrasion.

You could have probably fixed that?

Post Likes
    Not all that uncommon
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    I see..that makes sense. This was the first time I came across this type of problem...and didn't realize this was common.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan1088 View Post

You could have probably fixed that?
    Maybe I could have brazed that section, if thats what you mean by fix, but there was about 2" of thinned out wall. It made more sense to me to cut out the piece...cleaner, quicker and used less silfos.

What you all think, cut & braze or just braze?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    I would of brazed it

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    The pipe was rubbing against something if it could slide or something was rubbing against the pipe. Watch out for doors being propped up against it etc. Should be able to see same kind of markings on what caused the problem.

Post Likes
    I would have fixed it in place also.

Post Likes
    OP, It's common where linesets are not properly secured. Many times when the LLS energizes, the initial jolt of refrigerant going thru the line will cause a vibration.Also common when installers use use precharged linesets and stack the leftover coils on the roofs, on top of the box, or in the celing.

Post Likes
    I would have cut it out, in most cases, not much more time to do and just looks better. I have fixed them in place with equal success, 100 degrees and 5 calls waiting, but prefer to cut them out. That's just me though. Both are fine.

Post Likes
    it's a very very rare case, even if the lines are not properly secured to the wall or other stuff around, the vibration shouldn't be strong enough to cause such an abrasion from over time. I would say the lines they used when it was installed were already damage in that portion, and with overtime abrasion, it rubbed out a hole. But yea for better result, I would cut it, although that takes alot more time when you have to vacuum, and recharge the system

Post Likes
    Usually get stuff like that on distributor tubing rubbing up on one if the rungs or some nonsense. Don't see it happen on a wall often... I'd have patched too tho. Quick pump down, drier swap, patch, open receiver valve and let her rip. 15 minute fix.

Post Likes
    You did the right thing. Only takes a few more minutes to cut it out and replace it. I've been on a few calls working on roofs in -20 temps and 40mph winds where someone brazed over the rub through and it leaked out the blob of weld again 2 years later. Of course at the worst time.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by EEAllen View Post
    it's a very very rare case, even if the lines are not properly secured to the wall or other stuff around, the vibration shouldn't be strong enough to cause such an abrasion from over time.
    I strongly disagree! I had THREE rubthroughs last week on different condensing units (main piping), and TWO pressure control lines rubbed through. Yesterday I found a Lennox L-series where the discharge line from stage one compressor rubbed through on the tail of the crankcase heater worm clamp from the stage 2 compressor. I also had an evap fan wire in a unit cooler that had rubbed through and shorted.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MicahWes View Post
    I strongly disagree! I had THREE rubthroughs last week on different condensing units (main piping), and TWO pressure control lines rubbed through. Yesterday I found a Lennox L-series where the discharge line from stage one compressor rubbed through on the tail of the crankcase heater worm clamp from the stage 2 compressor. I also had an evap fan wire in a unit cooler that had rubbed through and shorted.
    If you read the rest of the post you quoted, it appears he doesn't like to pull vacuums either

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by EEAllen View Post
    it's a very very rare case, even if the lines are not properly secured to the wall or other stuff around, the vibration shouldn't be strong enough to cause such an abrasion from over time. I would say the lines they used when it was installed were already damage in that portion, and with overtime abrasion, it rubbed out a hole. But yea for better result, I would cut it, although that takes alot more time when you have to vacuum, and recharge the system
    :0

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    OP, It's common where linesets are not properly secured. Many times when the LLS energizes, the initial jolt of refrigerant going thru the line will cause a vibration.Also common when installers use use precharged linesets and stack the leftover coils on the roofs, on top of the box, or in the celing.
    Yep, seen precharged line sets just hanging still coiled above ceiling, coiled line rubbing against itself.

Post Likes
    Yep see that alot...sometimes not easy to find..

In a kitchen with my head stuck in an oven
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by coolerguy View Post
    Yep see that alot...sometimes not easy to find..
    Yup... like the lineset I had in a Jim 'n Nick's, suspended between top of W/I and roof of building (the attic) in a coil - accessible ONLY by ladder through the ONLY possible ceiling tile that could get me there - above another W/I's door they could only NOT use at 6am - an hour before the crew came in.
    Once up there, access required traversing, ducking & crawling by flashlight through something worse than a typical attic for about 30'.

Got to the coiled & dangling copper tubing of a system installed only a month ago, to find the lineset virtually rubbed right through each other.

I (or my company) didn't do it.

That lineset was worthy of a Wall of Shame post.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in