+ Reply to Thread

Thread: question i have about cold air return

Post Likes

question i have about cold air return

hi,
    i'm always sick throughout the year.......it mainly seems like allergies...i went to ENT numerous times and allergist....allergist said i'm only allergic to mold (penicillium) and a little bit to dust mites....i have a return air vent in my bedroom.....could this be making me sick.....my house is 5 years old.....this is how they ran the ventilation, i assumed it was ok.........and is there anyway i can check to see if i have mold in my walls without tearing walls down.......i appreciate any response......i'm trying everything to fix this and not be sick all the time anymore....it sucks and the doctors tell me that they don't know what it is and can't fix it..........please help...
    THANK Y'ALL SO MUCH

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by j smith View Post
    hi,
    i'm always sick throughout the year.......it mainly seems like allergies...i went to ENT numerous times and allergist....allergist said i'm only allergic to mold (penicillium) and a little bit to dust mites....i have a return air vent in my bedroom.....could this be making me sick.....my house is 5 years old.....this is how they ran the ventilation, i assumed it was ok.........and is there anyway i can check to see if i have mold in my walls without tearing walls down.......i appreciate any response......i'm trying everything to fix this and not be sick all the time anymore....it sucks and the doctors tell me that they don't know what it is and can't fix it..........please help...
    THANK Y'ALL SO MUCH
    Did the "sickness" start AFTER you moved into this new home? The return in the bedroom is not the cause. You might try having a UV lamp(s) installed on the furnace. I've heard they work well on mold.
    Last edited by George2; 03-25-2013 at 07:21 AM. Reason: spelling

Post Likes
    hi,
    THANK Y'ALL SO MUCH

it happened after i moved in, but it wasn't right after......i'm glad it's not the return..they suck air, but i'm at wits end that i'm trying to find out anything..........i'm gonna start looking into that uv lamp for the furnace.......i have a humidifier on furnace now.....would i have to call someone in to look for mold in my walls or ducts? or is there ways to do something like that myself.....the filter gets changed every month already....cause i'm always sick.......AND THANK U FOR THE RESPONSE.....i know this isn't a medical forum.....i'm trying so hard to eliminate everything that could possibly be making me sick

Post Likes
    Check the humidifier water panel. It could possibly be the source of the mold. I wouldn't think you would have mold in your ducts unless the ductwork is in the attic. Where is your furnace located?

Post Likes
    Ok I'll check humidifier....the furnace is in the basement...it's a ranch style house....we run a dehumidifier just for basement only....

Post Likes
    Ok I'll check humidifier....the furnace is in the basement...it's a ranch style house....we run a dehumidifier just for basement only....
    before you run around with your head stuffed up. There are so many things that you need to take into account before you start installing equipment. If your really getting sick in your house and your sure when you get sick, its because of whats in your house, you need to properly identify whats in the house. Air samples should help identify these.. Now the real issue is who can do this and is legit.

I would look at everything that's in the house, is duct work in good shape, is it clean inside or any leaks in returns, carpet, cleaning solutions, furniture, what's around your house inside and out, plants, trees.....etc, It it all the time, in all seasons, is it only at night or all day. make a list know the times. do your research. otherwise you may spend money on things that offer no help.....sometimes a stand alone air purifier is all you need. that's my two cents..

Post Likes
    Thank u...I'll do that

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in