Those are some serious steaks

my mouths watering................
    Some Talk, Some Do
    "keeping condensing pressures low and evaporator pressures high"
    Comfort is my goal
    Blog
    Web
    Facebook

I prefer a rib steak but those are some nicely marbled pieces of tasty goodness .

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    If it were me... some garlic salt, and some mesquite chips in the fire... slow cooked.

The better the meat and cooking technique... the less seasoning necessary.
    That's the way I do them! Sear the thick steaks over mesquite flames each side a few minutes, then set off into indirect heat for about an hour (or however long is necessary) while keeping the smoke going.

I always get thick cuts now, whether steaks or pork chops.

I've also taken to using a digital thermometer nowadays for nearly everything except ribs. Especially for chicken and pork chops. Had too many overcooked bird pieces trying to be sure it' done. A thermometer is helpful to prevent overcooking so the meat stays moist & tender.

You make absolutely no sense and no one wants a personal trainer in Cali. Don't litter the forum with garbage please

My favorite post of the day! Good Job!
    If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

little bit kosher salt, little pepper and a little cayenne (oh and some garlic)

Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    You make absolutely no sense and no one wants a personal trainer in Cali. Don't litter the forum with garbage please
    I missed that. must've been deleted by the mod. Knuckleheads....

Quote Originally Posted by jmsmars1 View Post
    I always have a tough time with thick steaks, getting the middle just right..... I dont want to puncture the meat with a thermometer. Any ideas? what method do you guys use?
    Like I'd said earlier, I gave in to using a thermometer. It's failsafe for how you prefer it cooked. Been through my share of tasty but tough steaks too. The cheap ones, like sirloin, that didn't have the marbling like the one in the OP's pic.

Anyway, I picked up somewhere that, when it's hard to chew, turn it and cut thin slices against the grain. Chews allot easier. Seems to help.

Can't really do much to tenderize a lean steak, no matter what conventional way you cook a steak.

I LIKE the way I cook a steak and, although the restaurants get the prime cut, I'm never impressed by them. So I'll pay top dollar for ones I really like at the market, then grill them up "my way."

STEAK STORY!

Worked a OT call at a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse years ago and they offered to feed me. I just wanted to get done and go, so I said "No thanks." Kinda wish I did, because I still haven't eaten there.

Anyway, two year's ago, another OT call at a Morton's of Chicago on an R12 reach-in. I recollected that offer from Ruth's and thought I could get hooked up here. So, as I was finishing up I asked "How much for a steak?"

"What cut?"
    "Porterhouse."
    "24 or 48 oz?"
    I'm thinking - 'Really!?'
    "24"
    He looks at his chart and said "$49.00."

GEEZ! Then I said "Wow..."

Then he added, "We don't make anything off our beef sales. That's what WE pay. Our profit is off the sides and the liquor."

I'm thinking - 'Why would he tell me something so ridiculous as that?'

Okay, so I was on that ladder, system's charged up and I'm just up there checking everything. But, I'm doing steak-math in my head. It's a CHICAGO steak. It's a Morton's of Chicago steak! I'll probably never eat here. It's EXPENSIVE! So...what do I make per hour? Got that. Okay, what am I making per hour doing this OT call? Yeah...about an hour's work for that stupid steak. Okaaaay...is it worth it?

"I'll take one to GO."
    "Great. How do you want it cooked?"
    "RAW!"
    "Huh?!?!"
    "I'll cook it when I get home."

He threw in the sides of sautéed brussel sprouts, a big bake potato and a huge onion bread bun (all of that cooked by them). All said - nearly a hundred dollar meal at their table is my guess...

I grilled that steak MY way in my charcoal Weber. BEST steak I've ever HAD!!!!

They don't make money on the steaks! That is true if they use Prime dry aged hanging meat,very few do (Morton's and Ruth's Chris do not)! There is a ton of waste on this meat due to the aging and fat. If it is a good steakhouse they will not serve the last end cut,so it has to be used for another purpose.

beautiful steaks

Quote Originally Posted by ACFIXR View Post
    my mouths watering................
    My teeth are sweating.............

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  57.9 KB Some Rib Eyes,not as good as the OP, but not bad?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12