• 4 egg yolks
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla
    • 2 & 1/4 cups flour
    • 1 teaspoon baking soda
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 1 cup buttermilk
    • 4 egg whites - stiffly beaten

Directions

Melt chocolate in boiling water. cool. Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add yolks (yellow part) 1 at a time (save egg whites also), beating well after each. Blend in vanilla and chocolate. Sift flour with soda and salt and add alternately with buttermilk (use a little less than 1 cup!!!) to chocolate mixture, beating after each addition until smooth. Fold in beaten whites. Pour into three 9-inch layer pans, buttered and floured. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes. Note that this cake could be done in just 27 minutes. Don't over cook or will taste a little burnt. Put a knife in it and make sure it comes out clean in the bottom center. Cool. Frost tops only.

Note: With the new aluminum baking pans, the cake was done in 30 minutes, but I did pre-heat the oven. On 11-2014 no more than 30 minutes with pre-heated oven!!

Ingredients for Frosting

• 1 cup evaporated milk
    • 1 cup sugar
    • 3 slightly beaten egg yolks
    • 1/2 cup butter
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla
    • 1 & 1/3 (1 can) cups Baker's angel flake coconut
    • 1 cup chopped pecans.

Directions

Combine 1 cup evaporated milk, 1 cup sugar, 3 slightly beaten egg yolks (yellow part only, throw away the egg whites here), 1/2 cup butter or margarine and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened, about 12 minutes. Add 1 & 1/3 cups Baker's angel flake coconut and 1 cup chopped pecans. Cool until thick enough to spread, beating occasionally. Makes 2 & 1/2 cups.

Post Likes
    Thanks for sharing.that cake take me back to the sixtys when my mom would fix acouple of them n send it to my brother n his troops in vietnam.i could not wait to lick the spoon n bowl.lol

Post Likes
    Yea.... have not had German chocolate cake in decades....

Those brownies look good though... or is it fudge..... looks good anyways...
    And the LORD was with Judah, and he drave out the inhabitants of the mountain, but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron.
    Judges Some number here:and here

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by corny View Post
    Yea.... have not had German chocolate cake in decades....

Those brownies look good though... or is it fudge..... looks good anyways...
    Thanks, it's fudge. I make a platter of all that around Christmas time.