Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1

    Frown Trane lockout issue

    I have a 3 yr. old Trane Model 4TXCB036BC3HCAA. During the 2nd heating season the ignitor failed and was replaced with a Trane replacement. Now in the 3rd heating season it has repeatedly locked out. The following have been done by my HVAC contractor
    Cleaned the flame sensor
    Check the intake and exhaust piping and found no problem
    Cleaned and inspected the condensation hoses and piping, again no problem
    Replaced the pressure sensor
    System continued to lock out after all these efforts and only flashes a lock out code after each failure to ignite.
    Now the 2nd ignitor has failed an again replaced with a Trane part. Not certain if this failure is independent of the of the lock out issue or the cause. The ignitor should last significantly longer than this. I'm doubtfully that the root cause has been found. Any ideas I can pass on to my HVAC guy?

    Thanks in advance for your suggestions

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    West Monroe, LA
    Posts
    1,535
    The model number you listed is a coil not a furnace! Have they changed the board by chance or anything besides the igniter? I might have a idea/guess if something else has been done. What is the model # of the furnace? Just FYI I can't offer DIY advice but make a suggestion on what it could be or what to gave your contractor look for.

  3. #3
    My bad duck man. The correct model # is TUH2B080A9VAA. My HVAC man replaced the pressure sensor along with the 2 igniters but NOT the board. He has been trying to eliminate any other possibilities and/or find more evidence that the board is the problem. I understand you cannot provide DIY advice. Any you can do within the limits of the forum is greatly appreciated and will be passed on to my HVAC man. I'm just looking for a second set of eyes on this to see if he has missed anything.




    Quote Originally Posted by duckman06 View Post
    The model number you listed is a coil not a furnace! Have they changed the board by chance or anything besides the igniter? I might have a idea/guess if something else has been done. What is the model # of the furnace? Just FYI I can't offer DIY advice but make a suggestion on what it could be or what to gave your contractor look for.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Northern Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,013
    Hot surface ignitors definately should last a lot longer. Did you happen to get a look at the ones he pulled out? What did it look like? Did he show you how he determined they were bad? Depending on how the ignitors are failing, their condition/look, after failure should be a big indicator to a seasoned service tech as to what is causing the problem.

    If your service person is basically "scratching his head" on this one the best suggestion I could give is he go back to the install manual and go through every single little line item one by one to insure that the furnace was installed exactly according to Trane's specifications. Lockouts are a safety feature designed into furnaces to identify that something about the conditions the controls are seeing isn't correct. That of course is assuming that the control board itself isn't defective. Has the factory technical department been contacted by your sevice company to see if they have any ideas?
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Central Fla.
    Posts
    311
    The hot surface igniter itself should never be touched ,it should be only handled by the ceramic base. The life of it is reduced drastically if you touch the "glow" portion of the igniter.

  6. #6
    Hi firecontrol. The failed ignitor was tested for conductivity and failed. It was black with graying about halfway up followed by another black section with a few white deposits about the size of pin heads followed by a small gray band and then black at the tip. The last time I talked with him was going to contacted Trane. I have a call into him to see what suggestions they have and will pass along the install manual suggestion.


    Quote Originally Posted by firecontrol View Post
    Hot surface ignitors definately should last a lot longer. Did you happen to get a look at the ones he pulled out? What did it look like? Did he show you how he determined they were bad? Depending on how the ignitors are failing, their condition/look, after failure should be a big indicator to a seasoned service tech as to what is causing the problem.

    If your service person is basically "scratching his head" on this one the best suggestion I could give is he go back to the install manual and go through every single little line item one by one to insure that the furnace was installed exactly according to Trane's specifications. Lockouts are a safety feature designed into furnaces to identify that something about the conditions the controls are seeing isn't correct. That of course is assuming that the control board itself isn't defective. Has the factory technical department been contacted by your sevice company to see if they have any ideas?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lancaster PA
    Posts
    68,080
    Have him check manifold pressure in both low and high fire.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    4,665
    that should be a silcone nitride ignitor and its rare for them to fail , wonder if the replacement was a silicone carbide
    We really need change now

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    West Monroe, LA
    Posts
    1,535
    Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    that should be a silcone nitride ignitor and its rare for them to fail , wonder if the replacement was a silicone carbide
    That is what I was thinking. I had a customer a few months back that the ignitior failed on 2 times. After scratching my head on this.

    I called Trane to find out if warranty parts had ever been ordered for this system as we didn't install it originally. What I found was the board was replaced and required another ignitior then what the furnace model and serial number had to begin with.

    So each time I ordered a replacement igniter for the system using the model and serial number they were by sure accident sending me the igniter that was original to the furnace. After carefull review and finding out the board had been repealed. I found at that the new board was requiring a diffrent igintor since the board was changed out. Simple fix just to get the right igintor but had to investigate the system history to see what was going on.

    Next day had the correct igniter for the new board that was replaced by another company. Since then no more problems. To the org. Poster that is the reason I asked if the board had been replaced. That was what I was thinking could be the problem? Since the board per him has not been changed then the only thing I can think of is the igintor might be the wrong one for the unit?

  10. #10
    I don't know if the ignitor was silicone nitride of silicone carbide. What I do know is that the part number for the 2nd replacement ignitor is different than the 1st replacement ignitor. This maybe due to different countries of manufacture, replacement 1 was made in Mexico the 2nd one in Japan and Trane maybe issuing a new part number just to reflect the change in manufacturing location and/or supplier.


    Quote Originally Posted by duckman06 View Post
    That is what I was thinking. I had a customer a few months back that the ignitior failed on 2 times. After scratching my head on this.

    I called Trane to find out if warranty parts had ever been ordered for this system as we didn't install it originally. What I found was the board was replaced and required another ignitior then what the furnace model and serial number had to begin with.

    So each time I ordered a replacement igniter for the system using the model and serial number they were by sure accident sending me the igniter that was original to the furnace. After carefull review and finding out the board had been repealed. I found at that the new board was requiring a diffrent igintor since the board was changed out. Simple fix just to get the right igintor but had to investigate the system history to see what was going on.

    Next day had the correct igniter for the new board that was replaced by another company. Since then no more problems. To the org. Poster that is the reason I asked if the board had been replaced. That was what I was thinking could be the problem? Since the board per him has not been changed then the only thing I can think of is the igintor might be the wrong one for the unit?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    West Monroe, LA
    Posts
    1,535
    Quote Originally Posted by captjack View Post
    I don't know if the ignitor was silicone nitride of silicone carbide. What I do know is that the part number for the 2nd replacement ignitor is different than the 1st replacement ignitor. This maybe due to different countries of manufacture, replacement 1 was made in Mexico the 2nd one in Japan and Trane maybe issuing a new part number just to reflect the change in manufacturing location and/or supplier.
    The service tech that is working on your system needs to research this as it very well might be the wrong ignitior that is causing it to fail? One things for sure their is something going on and at this point I would ask him to start from square one so he can figure out what's going on with the furnace.

    You can't keep replacing igintors as this is a temp fix to a perment problem. If the wiring igintor is being used then it will countie to fail and cause you nothing but headaches. I would ask him to call Feild service tech advicer for the system and run this by him to get his views in what or what not might be happening with the system.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event