Thread: Swapping r-22 for r-12

Post Likes

Swapping r-22 for r-12

One of my walk in boxes still uses r-12 gas. I run the box at about 37 degrees F. It has the condensing unit on top and is indoors. The compressor is a Tecumseh #AH7514A. Can I switch to r-22 gas by simply swapping the condensing unit for one that uses r-22 and replacing the expansion valve or is there something else I should consider? Thanks, Bob

Post Likes
    Look first to a refrigerant that is sustainable over the long term.

R-22 is in the midst of its own phaseout like R-12 went through 20ish years ago.

Capacity, overall condition, age and materials compatibility are all factors you need to consider.

It might be time to replace that equipment rather than just change refrigerants.

Post Likes
    swap the condenser for one that uses r134a or 404a ,make sure that they cross over the model number of yours to the one that uses 134a or 404a

Post Likes
    to use R-22 you would also need to change out the distributor orifice. Better with r134a or 404a as chillerout1 said

Post Likes
    Thank you all for the info. I will take your advice.

Post Likes
    If you’re going to change it change it all. Evaporator, Line set and condensing unit.

Post Likes
    This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 04-13-2013 at 07:45 PM. Reason: non AOP member

Post Likes
    david chamberla

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby67 View Post
    One of my walk in boxes still uses r-12 gas. I run the box at about 37 degrees F. It has the condensing unit on top and is indoors. The compressor is a Tecumseh #AH7514A. Can I switch to r-22 gas by simply swapping the condensing unit for one that uses r-22 and replacing the expansion valve or is there something else I should consider? Thanks, Bob
    Not sure why everyone has to thump their chest like it's an old "Tarzan" movie (I know it all).
    Have a "Competent Contractor" do a "Drop-In" replacement for R-12.

Post Likes
    wait till its dying then replace w a new 404a system..but being r12-it may be dying due to age

Post Likes

Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 04-14-2013 at 06:46 PM. Reason: non AOP member

Post Likes
    Joe m

Post Likes
    You could have it changed over to 134A. It would involve recovering the R12 and changing the oil and filter driers evacuating the system and recharging with R134A. But due to the age of R12 systems it may be wise to just upgrade to a new system.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in