+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Everyone's take on Liquid charging adapters(i.e. Imperial 535c)

Post Likes

Everyone's take on Liquid charging adapters(i.e. Imperial 535c)

Just a posting to get everyone's take on Kwik-charger, the liquid charging adapters. Are they time savers, worth the money or just go cheap and throttle ?

Post Likes
    In my opinion a waste of time. Just throttle the liquid thru your gauge manifold and keep an eye on the compressor.

Post Likes
    I had one when I first stared out. It cracked up the side and I just learned to throttle the refrigerant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

Post Likes
    I think that, in general, people are way too concerned about liquid entering compressors.

#1. Your manifold, hoses, schraeder fittings and adaptors and depressors are very restrictive to flow. These restrictions are the reason we don't evacuate through them. They help us, however, when we charge through them.

#2. Compressors are, for the most part, refrigerant cooled. This means that the routing of the gas through the compressor goes through the motor BEFORE it gets to the cylinders and valves where it can cause real damage. Most new compressors in AC equipment are scrolls anyway and they are very tolerant of liquid.

Guys, I charge big equipment and, as such, have developed a bit of a ham-handed approach to charging. My idea of SLOW charging is to flip a drum upside down and charge through my manifold with both hand wheels wide open. On small equipment, I make the concession of using a single hose.

It really isn't as big a deal as it is made out to be MOST of the time.

Knowing the difference, however, is critical.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    I think that, in general, people are way too concerned about liquid entering compressors.

#1. Your manifold, hoses, schraeder fittings and adaptors and depressors are very restrictive to flow. These restrictions are the reason we don't evacuate through them. They help us, however, when we charge through them.

#2. Compressors are, for the most part, refrigerant cooled. This means that the routing of the gas through the compressor goes through the motor BEFORE it gets to the cylinders and valves where it can cause real damage. Most new compressors in AC equipment are scrolls anyway and they are very tolerant of liquid.

Guys, I charge big equipment and, as such, have developed a bit of a ham-handed approach to charging. My idea of SLOW charging is to flip a drum upside down and charge through my manifold with both hand wheels wide open. On small equipment, I make the concession of using a single hose.

I pretty well agree. Your ears will tell you the whole story when you are giving it too much.

Mn the state where absolutey nothing is allowed
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by syk35 View Post
    In my opinion a waste of time. Just throttle the liquid thru your gauge manifold and keep an eye on the compressor.
    whats the compressor going to tell your eye?

you should keep your eye on the digital scale. which by the way to the OP is a much better buy.

SH and SC rule. the scale just helps you from overcharging, thereby charging at a rate thats fast and safe
    my boss thinks its possible to repeal the laws of physics

Post Likes
    I bought one of those adapters five years ago and it is still in the package in one of my tool bags somewhere modern scrolls are pretty tolerant to liquid i wont buy another one im not sure why i bought the one i have

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ch4man View Post
    whats the compressor going to tell your eye?
    Make sure the compressor is running and keep an eye on sump temperature and if there is a sump sight glass make sure the oil isn't foaming due to liquid dilution.

Post Likes
    I must be an overly cautious old fart. I have one of these (see my avatar) and use it all the time. I love just cranking the manifold valve, and letting the Kwik Charge do the work. I don't have to worry about if I have it throttled right. Also saves me from the possibility of wearing out or damaging the seats and seals in the manifold.
    Hi, my name is Glenn, and I'm a Toolaholic!

Post Likes

Yep

Post Likes
    Waste of time and money...throttling through your gauge manifold does a perfectly good job with liquid charging.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    I USUALLY charge with the cores pulled out, depressors removed, manifold wide open, directly into suction.

Post Likes

Ditto. We do big equipment as well and rarely make any concession for worrying about the liquid. Hook it up, open the valves and let it go. If we used one of those little things on some of the larger systems, we would never get the whole charge in. Most of the time, we pump as much of the charge as possible in with a recovery machine and then trim it, but sometimes that trim charge can be 50 or 60 lbs.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in