+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Journeyman's Test

Post Likes

Confused Journeyman's Test

Hi everyone! Looks like I'm unemployed now so I was thinking I should turn a good thing into a bad thing by using any extra time I have while not job hunting to get ready to take the Virginia Journeyman's test. Then I can actually get better at my job instead of forgetting things. My question is, are there any resources to study for it that are question based instead of reading based? Like a huge list of questions that would be on the test. For example, in school I would read the material to understand the material, then use the review questions to actually memorize it. I feel like I have a good grasp on the work but tests are not my strong suit

Thanks guys, hope the weather is as nice where you are as here

Post Likes
    If its like the Delaware test its administered by a company called prometric look them up online. There are the code books not sure in VA, but in Delaware international mech code, and international fuel gas code. Many questions are pulled right from those two books which you can use during testing. Then gas and duct sizing, schematics and general HVACR questions. Hope that helps.

Post Likes
    Ok, looks like I will be buying some code books then : ). Do you know of any resources like this: http://www.proprofs.com/quiz-school/...yman-prep-test that would have most of the questions that would be asked on the test that I could study?

This looked good because it showed a question, the answer, and why. It also kind of seems like a scam though

This book seems less fishy. Has anyone tried a study book like this?

Post Likes
    Those questions look similar to the ones on the test I took. I bought my books of amazon they where the cheapest.

Post Likes
    Did you buy a study guide to help you or just study the reference books?

Post Likes
    The study guide book was horrible. I also read the modern refrigeration and ac book. The master exam was composed of like five books.

Post Likes
    If the exam is given by prometric you need to find out from the licensing agency exactly which test you need to take then go to the prometric website and download the candidate information bulletin it will give you a test breakdown and a list of reference books you will need some jurisdictions require approval from them before taking the test. Good luck to you

Post Likes
    As far as the study guide goes dont waste your money prometric offers an online practice exam for 30 bucks that is very similar to the actual test thats what i would do the main thing is to know where to find the information in the code books quuickly because even though it is open book there is a time limit

9. Likes SteveBo liked this post.
    Post Likes
    You guys are lucky, when I took the exam in Kentucky 8 years ago, they had just made it a closed book test, luckily Kentucky & Ohio had gotten together and decided to make up an exam written by actual journeymen, instead of some engineer with no physical experience. Moved here to California, and guess what? My license is no good here, they offer almost no help what so ever as far as study suggestions. So just get the three books they suggest, and read all three front to back I guess? Read manual J & manual D, and modern refrigeration....., study a bunch of stuff that you may never encounter in the residential or light commercial fields, then go take the test and realize, half of the questions aren't even field related. There are several "Contractor Licensing Schools" out here, that offer guaranteed pass results, seems they have a few hundred questions you cram over the course of two days, then take the test, this does not make for a good contractor. After seeing some of the sh!tty work that was done by a "licensed" contractor, I started to wonder how much kick back the state receives for keeping study material top secret, and allowing these "Contractor Schools" to operate?......... Sorry to rant, the politics in the different states just pisses me off, why not just make a national journeyman test, if a guy can pass the test, pay his license fees, keep a bond or insurance, then he is a contractor. ........Oh wait, they have that it's called the "NATE Exam"!

11. Likes 54regcab liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I've got a question, I've been in the business all my life, 7 years full time. My dad is a journeyman and I work for him. I'm in South Carolina, do I have to take my journeyman test then work under a "master" for 2 years to become a "master Harv" myself because I don't know of anyone that is a "master" that I could "work under" I think my dad is the only journeyman in the county, most including us are licensed by the state (LLR) and nobody is licensed by MASC (prometric). A neighboring county requires a journeyman on the job and that's the only reason my dad got journeyman cert and since I will be taking over eventually I would like to go ahead and get my journeyman/master and state mech (ac,ht,pk,el) license.

13. Likes porkypine liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I took my apprenticeship bypass test eg. Journeymens. Then was automatically approved to take the master HVACR exam. If your dad says you work under him for the past seven years then you can just take the master exam. That's how it was in Delaware. I had to submit my years if experience via W2 forms.

Post Likes
    In missouri it is 10 Years well the city of springfield anyway and you have to be a journeyman for 5 years you cant just jump to master

Post Likes
    I've researched some and it looks like all I have to do is take the journeyman then turn around and take the master like stevestohr said... Maybe I'll get a raise when I get it...

Post Likes
    I VERY highly recommend Modern Refrigeration as a study guide! Tons of useful info and a good recap of stuff you already know.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by brian.cornell View Post
    In missouri it is 10 Years well the city of springfield anyway and you have to be a journeyman for 5 years you cant just jump to master
    I just went to the city building dept here in Springfield to inquire on getting my masters. I'm with Local 178. I have to get 10 years proof of employment from previous employers. That'll be fun.
    I got a copy of the International Mechanical Code book to study. But first I'll have to pass the Bar to understand the IMC book.
    I was told at the Hall pass rate is about 5%.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chaard View Post
    I just went to the city building dept here in Springfield to inquire on getting my masters. I'm with Local 178. I have to get 10 years proof of employment from previous employers. That'll be fun.
    I got a copy of the International Mechanical Code book to study. But first I'll have to pass the Bar to understand the IMC book.
    I was told at the Hall pass rate is about 5%.
    . I just took the masters test on February 23rd it was extremely hard luckily I passed if you have any questions about it pm me I would recommend going to the board meeting for the approval the test is from pro metric test number 31023 there are actually 9 books on the list I bought all of them who do you work for I know a lot of guys from Springfield I worked there for 15 years good luck on the test

Post Likes
    . I just took the masters test on February 23rd it was extremely hard luckily I passed if you have any questions about it pm me. 1st question is what are the answers? ::

I would recommend going to the board meeting for the approvalPlan on it.

the test is from pro metric test number 31023 there are actually 9 books on the list I bought all of them. Want to sell them?
    who do you work for I know a lot of guys from Springfield I worked there for 15 years good luck on the test
    Ozark York

Btw, I lived in Webb City up until 2 weeks after the tornado.
    We're awl pawthetic and kweepy and can't get giwrls. That's why we fight wobots.

Post Likes
    I already sold the books to a guy I work with who is taking the test Ozark York is a good company I work for Slmpson Sheet Metal

Post Likes

Test

. I just took the masters test on February 23rd it was extremely hard luckily I passed if you have any questions about it pm me I would recommend going to the board meeting for the approval the test is from pro metric test number 31023 there are actually 9 books on the list I bought all of them who do you work for I know a lot of guys from Springfield I worked there for 15 years good luck on the test
    Any tips you can give me on taking this test. I'm going in on Monday to take it. I have all three books an i put tabs in parts of the book

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in