Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Likes
    You think the bowline knot will handle pulling a compressor up on a roof? I'll try it out though. Never seen it before.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
    You think the bowline knot will handle pulling a compressor up on a roof? I'll try it out though. Never seen it before.
    I don't think....

I KNOW from experience that it will.

In that case, however, I would look for an opportunity to use a block and tackle arrangement if at ALL possible to reduce the force required to lift the compressor. Just a single "snatch block" type pulley connected to the load will reduce lifting force by half.

What I do when possible, is find something to tie one end of the rope to. A Bowline will work, but I typically use a clove hitch as it is quicker to tie.

Drop the rope to the compressor and thread the snatch block and hook it to the compressor by means of a shackle or a GOOD carabiner, not one of those cheap key-ring ones, but a proper climbing carabiner.

Now, carry the free end to the roof and pull.

I also do the same with heavy parts and refrigerant cylinders.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Freightshaker View Post
    Haha not knocking that at all, we had a guy that would always say that. He told me that one time, took over, tied real knot, then tossed over edge and as the knots came undone my stuff never even slowed it's 50ft real knot free fall.
    Well, not saying that it isn't possible, but I've not lost a load since I've been tying knots and I started at about 12 or 13 in Boy Scouts.

I've raised and lowered people with knots that I've tied, including my own fairly substantive carcass.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
    Do yourself a favor and KNOW how to tie the knot before heading out to use it. I'd hate to see you get it wrong and drop a compressor....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Well, not saying that it isn't possible, but I've not lost a load since I've been tying knots and I started at about 12 or 13 in Boy Scouts.

I've raised and lowered people with knots that I've tied, including my own fairly substantive carcass.
    This guy was a dunce and when you said real knot (thats what he called whatever he tied)it gave me a flashback of watching my Bosch drill freefalling

Post Likes
    This guy was a dunce and when you said real knot (thats what he called whatever he tied)it gave me a flashback of watching my Bosch drill freefalling
    The important question is:

Did the schmuck replace your drill?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    The important question is:

Did the schmuck replace your drill?
    Was in case when it landed flat on concrete. Clips to hold case shut shot off like missiles(found one about 30ft away) bits, drill, charger, and batteries scattered. Collected it all up and surprisingly everything worked fine. Never found the other clip though.

Post Likes
    Was in case when it landed flat on concrete. Clips to hold case shut shot off like missiles(found one about 30ft away) bits, drill, charger, and batteries scattered. Collected it all up and surprisingly everything worked fine. Never found the other clip though.
    Heck of an advertisement for Bosch...

Post Likes
    Note on the bowline hitch (knot):

When I was in high school, I spent a summer working at a boys camp (church sponsored). One of the things we taught the kids was mountain climbing (repelling). On the weekends (when the boys were not there), we would go out and climb some serious rocks. I learned a technique of climbing: With a rope around something above you... one can hold both ropes with one hand with about 7-8 ft of slack in one rope. While holding both ropes in one hand, the other hand can wrap the loose end around one's middle, and tie a bowline... yes, one can do that one-handed with a little practice. I still do it (tie the knot, not hang off rocks ) just for practice sometimes.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Note on the bowline hitch (knot):

When I was in high school, I spent a summer working at a boys camp (church sponsored). One of the things we taught the kids was mountain climbing (repelling). On the weekends (when the boys were not there), we would go out and climb some serious rocks. I learned a technique of climbing: With a rope around something above you... one can hold both ropes with one hand with about 7-8 ft of slack in one rope. While holding both ropes in one hand, the other hand can wrap the loose end around one's middle, and tie a bowline... yes, one can do that one-handed with a little practice. I still do it (tie the knot, not hang off rocks ) just for practice sometimes.
    A "one handed" bowline.

Yep, they still teach it to scouts, firefighters and such. It is an excellent rescue knot.

I haven't done the hanging off of rocks thing in quite a few years, either, but the boys are reaching that age and I'd like for them to do it safer and smarter than I ever did it when I started...

Post Likes
    Alright forget the tool safety knots,they are important but what knot do u use to tie off a harness?

Sent from my HTC Hero S using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jhunter97 View Post
    Alright forget the tool safety knots,they are important but what knot do u use to tie off a harness?

Sent from my HTC Hero S using Tapatalk 2
    What type of harness? A fall protection harness?

This should be tied off with a proper, fall-arresting strap of the break-away or tear-away type designed to decelerate the user during a fall.

A bowline CAN be used to tie off for a climbing type harness, but isn't the best knot to select for that purpose, a Flemish Eye knot is.

Post Likes
    I have 5 Veto's and counting on the waiting list for the back pack.
    I'm primarily resi now and image is everything.
    If it walks like a hack, sqawks like a hack it's probably a hack.
    Details, details, details.
    The bag does not make the tech but his choice of clean and well maintained tools is one of the small differences between a shmoe or a Joe. I'd start with the LC
    It's Hammer Time!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast