York RTU Heat Exchanger

In the near future, I will be replacing a heat exchanger in a York RTU, Model # D3CG102N13046G. I have done a couple of these 8.5 ton units before and have come to the conclusion that it is a pain in the butt. With York’s wonderful design, I found it very hard the get the old heat exchanger out and the new one in without ripping up the insulation in the heating section. When the new one is in, you don’t really have room to get your hands in there to tape up the insulation.
    Does anybody have a trick on doing this without tearing up the insulation? I thought about trying to get some thin sheet metal and slide it between the insulation and the brackets that hold the heat exchanger in place, but I don’t really think it would work too well. Any suggestions would be great.

PS- When you guys quote a heat exchanger replacement on the 8.5 ton York RTU’s, how much time do you figure, I figured two men 8 hours each and an additional 2 hours for one guy to take back the old heat exchanger, it’s under warranty and about an 1 ˝ hour drive one way back to York.

Smile Great Minds .........

I did one of those heat exchangers and had the same idea about the sheet metal. i think a thin gauge would work fine. I used about the same labor as you did.

we did a d3cg240,20 ton and we used a portapower hydraulic ram to spread the walls apart and used thin sheet metal like you mentioned to help keep insulation from ripping,still needed to silver tape up spots though. we needed 2 men 16 hours to complete.

replaced many heat exchangers. the sheetmetal trick works great. As for time, 2 guys a day

Thanks for the replies guys. Oldtimer, you said that the sheet metal trick works great, do you use a big piece on each side or two smaller pieces on each side where the brackets are?

why are you taking the heat exchangers all the ones i did they don't want them back, just trash them.

Smile

Hands, I just used a piece of panning (from united) one on each side, slide it up as you pull the heat exchanger up and out.Use metal tape to repair any rips in the insulation before you install the new one.

Quote Originally Posted by john77420 View Post
    why are you taking the heat exchangers all the ones i did they don't want them back, just trash them.
    As I had stated, it is under warranty and they want it back. I guess they need proof that its bad.

I've got one for a 20 ton on the dock now waiting for me Monday. I agree that York is one pain in the butt compared to some of the other brands. I have did several 5 to 10 ton and usually can spread the walls far enough apart to get the old one out without major damage. Then I silver tape the crap out of the walls before starting back in. I haven't tried sheet metal, but I will try that Monday and see how it goes. I changed one in a 15 ton Lennox last Monday and was surprised at how easy it was to get out and back in. Why can't they all be that way?

Bobby

Lennox isn't bad to change heat exchangers in, but the easiest has to be Carriers.
    Good luck with the 20 ton unit, let us know how the sheet metal works out for you. I'll most likely be working on the York unit this week, it was ordered last week and should be in soon.

Sorry so late getting back to this thread, but we did change the heat exchanger in the 20 ton last Tuesday and Wednesday. We tore the unit apart Tuesday and put it back Wednesday. I took some long 1/2" nipples and put 1/2" threaded rod in them with nuts I could turn and force the nipples apart. We used two of these things to push the walls apart and hold them while we got the old heat exchanger out. I then taped the crap out of the insulation with foil tape and slid sheet metal in first before sliding the heat exchanger in place. We then got the side on the condenser coil lined up first and it went pretty well from there. We did take the indoor blower housing aloose too. I think you could probably have did it without taking the blower housing aloose, but it did make it a little easier to get in there with it.

Bobby