Hybrid View

York RTU Heat Exchanger

In the near future, I will be replacing a heat exchanger in a York RTU, Model # D3CG102N13046G. I have done a couple of these 8.5 ton units before and have come to the conclusion that it is a pain in the butt. With York’s wonderful design, I found it very hard the get the old heat exchanger out and the new one in without ripping up the insulation in the heating section. When the new one is in, you don’t really have room to get your hands in there to tape up the insulation.
    Does anybody have a trick on doing this without tearing up the insulation? I thought about trying to get some thin sheet metal and slide it between the insulation and the brackets that hold the heat exchanger in place, but I don’t really think it would work too well. Any suggestions would be great.

PS- When you guys quote a heat exchanger replacement on the 8.5 ton York RTU’s, how much time do you figure, I figured two men 8 hours each and an additional 2 hours for one guy to take back the old heat exchanger, it’s under warranty and about an 1 ˝ hour drive one way back to York.

Smile Great Minds .........

I did one of those heat exchangers and had the same idea about the sheet metal. i think a thin gauge would work fine. I used about the same labor as you did.

we did a d3cg240,20 ton and we used a portapower hydraulic ram to spread the walls apart and used thin sheet metal like you mentioned to help keep insulation from ripping,still needed to silver tape up spots though. we needed 2 men 16 hours to complete.

replaced many heat exchangers. the sheetmetal trick works great. As for time, 2 guys a day

Thanks for the replies guys. Oldtimer, you said that the sheet metal trick works great, do you use a big piece on each side or two smaller pieces on each side where the brackets are?

why are you taking the heat exchangers all the ones i did they don't want them back, just trash them.