Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Infinity Furnace BUT Comfort Series Air Conditioner (Not Infinity) -- is this bad?

In my new house, the builder's subcontractor installed the top of the line Infinity furnace (Infinity 96: 58MVB), but the a/c unit is a "Comfort series" unit (not the Infinity, or even Performance series). It is the 24ACA4

http://www.carrierresidential.com/carrier/acComfort.asp

Additionally, as one of the options for the house, I paid to upgrade from standard controls to Infinity controls.

Since only the furnace is an Infinity unit -- what exactly am I missing with the non-infinity a/c unit? What benefits would there be for an Infinity unit over a the Comfort series?

I'm concerned that although I paid for Infinity controls, I don't get the full benefit of them with only a Comfort series outdoor unit. Note that Carrier's website indicates that the Comfort Series does not support Infinity controls.

Although the upgrade I paid for only says 14 SEER unit (doesn't specify Infinity series or not), the fact that there is a separate option to purchase Infinity controls implies that you will get full use of your Infinity controls.

Should I mention to the builder that purchasing Infinity controls implies a full Infinity system?

What exactly am I missing out on with Infinity Controls but a non-Infinity A/C unit?

Will I still have full control over ALL a/c and heating functions?

Will it still tell me when to replace the filter?

infinity control uses a data interface that connects to a different location on the control board than the standard control wiring would. The control communicates with the circuit boards in the unit to control system operation, a standard thermostat uses swithches to turn equipment on and off. Without the proper interface in the outdoor unit, I'm not certain that the AC will even come on. Have you discussed the matter with the builder or the sub?

Quote Originally Posted by Sam-the-man View Post
    infinity control uses a data interface that connects to a different location on the control board than the standard control wiring would. The control communicates with the circuit boards in the unit to control system operation, a standard thermostat uses swithches to turn equipment on and off. Without the proper interface in the outdoor unit, I'm not certain that the AC will even come on. Have you discussed the matter with the builder or the sub?
    Not yet. Waiting to see what the experts here say.

I could just say to the builder that Carrier's website indicates that the supported control for my a/c unit is ONLY thermidistat (NOT Infinity). So, Mr. Builder, shouldn't I have a different a/c unit?

Mr. Builder will then point to the options list to say that all you were promised is a 14 seer unit (which the Comfort Series unit I have is).

So first I want to confirm what exactly can I NOT control on my Comfort Series A/C unit, with Infinity Controls and an Infinity furnace?

Infinity control is in fact connected using ABCD connector at the furnace. The OD unit is connected to the Y and C terminals. The Infinity control energizes the Y to make the OD unit run.

It's a non-issue in my opinion.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Quote Originally Posted by jrbenny View Post
    Infinity control is in fact connected using ABCD connector at the furnace. The OD unit is connected to the Y and C terminals. The Infinity control energizes the Y to make the OD unit run.

Okay, but I was not concerned with the connections. I assumed Infinity Controls can turn on the a/c unit -- but is that all?

My point is, if its a non-issue, then why does Carrier say that only the "Standard Thermostat" control is supported? In other words, the Infinity control is NOT supported per Carrier's website.

"24ACA4

Performance
    Efficiency 14 SEER

Controls
    Controls Supported Standard Thermostat
    "

http://www.carrierresidential.com/ca...rt.asp#m24ACA4

There must be a reason for this.

What features do you lose when you have a non-supported a/c unit for Infinity controls, but you are in fact using Infinity controls?

No one has really addressed the main issue. What is the difference with Infinity controls and a 100% full Infinity system, and Infinity controls, but a non-Infinity a/c unit as part of the mix -- where Carrier explicitly states that only the Standard Thermostat is supported for the a/c unit.

Something has to be different.

the reason they say the infinity control is not supported is because that AC unit does not have a circuit board with the data interface that the infinity control connects to. If what jrbenny says is true (and he knows his stuff) you are not losing any function of the AC unit. The air conditioning system will perform exactly as designed, perhaps even better than with a standard thermostat with regard to humidity control. Initial cost would have been significantly higher to upgrade the AC unit to an infinity, perhaps it was decided that the increased efficiency was not worth the increase in initial investment? Sounds like you got what you paid for, not that that's a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by jrbenny View Post

I am with Jr on this (shocker eh?) it really is a non-issue. Other than loosing some fault communications (which homeowners tend to dismiss anyways) your not loosing anything in the way of performance.

It's a good system.
    Live each day like it is your last, for one day you will be right!

I have an Infinity furnace, Infinity control and non-Infinity AC. My system works great! I don't think its a big deal. However, I would be upset if I paid for an complete Infinity system and did not get an Infinity AC unit if that was supposed to be part of it.

a complete infinity has a 2 speed outdoor unit.but you still have a good system.

Quote Originally Posted by hvac r us 2 View Post
    I am with Jr on this (shocker eh?) it really is a non-issue. Other than loosing some fault communications (which homeowners tend to dismiss anyways) your not loosing anything in the way of performance.

It's a good system.
    That's good to know. But aside from fault communications, do you still have all of the typical capabilities of the Infinity thermostat? All of the programming? Change filter warnings? Humidity control? Etc.?

I just want to make sure that not only do I have a good performing system, but that I have the full range of control available via the Infinity thermostat.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam-the-man View Post
    the reason they say the infinity control is not supported is because that AC unit does not have a circuit board with the data interface that the infinity control connects to. If what jrbenny says is true (and he knows his stuff) you are not losing any function of the AC unit. The air conditioning system will perform exactly as designed, perhaps even better than with a standard thermostat with regard to humidity control. Initial cost would have been significantly higher to upgrade the AC unit to an infinity, perhaps it was decided that the increased efficiency was not worth the increase in initial investment? Sounds like you got what you paid for, not that that's a bad thing.
    I'm actually concerned with losing functionality of the Infinity thermostat -- not the AC unit itself. Like the cool features for homeowners -- like warning when the filter is running out, humidity control, all of the programming capabilities, etc.

So all that stuff is still available on the control itself, even with a non- Infinity a/c unit?

Quote Originally Posted by seadragon View Post
    I have an Infinity furnace, Infinity control and non-Infinity AC. My system works great! I don't think its a big deal. However, I would be upset if I paid for an complete Infinity system and did not get an Infinity AC unit if that was supposed to be part of it.
    Is there anything the thermostat itself can not do, that it normally can do if its an Infinity a/c unit? Do you still get filter warnings, full programability, etc.?

Thumbs up

The other replies are correct. You have a good match up.
    Your infinity control will still do everything you want it to do.
    It will still have dehumidification, filter change warning, night set back, vacation mode, static pressure verification, fault codes for the furnace that can display the installing contractor's name and phone number. It can still control a humidifier and heat or energy recovery ventilator if you have either one installed.
    I've put in several Infinity airhandlers with the Comfort series heat pump and they work great. It's a good value. The performance and Infinity outdoor unit are a little quieter and depending on the model a little more efficient but a whole lot more expensive and the waranty is the same.
    Make sure you buy the optional 10 year parts and labor extended warranty it's worth every penny if/when you have a problem. The Infinity control costs as much as 4 or 5 regular thermostats combined and the cost of a blower motor out of the five year parts warranty will make you pass out.
    If your installing contractor put in a good duct system you'll really enjoy your new system.
    mcair

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast