Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 15
  1. #1

    Furnace Decision Time

    I have to make a quick decision on my replacement furnace. My previous post discussed my cracked heat exchanger and the utility co. came out and red tagged it today. Luckily my gas fireplace cranks out some good heat. After receiving several quotes I'm down to 2 furnaces. Calc's have been done to size the units. The two furnaces are:

    1) American Standard Gold ZM, 2 stage, variable-speed, 60,000 btu.

    2) Carrier Performance 59TP5, 2 stage, multi-speed, 60,000 btu.

    Both quotes are very, very close in price and both dealers have been around for decades. Carrier installer is more well know locally. The American Standard guy has been doing this forever, seems very sharp and is actually an HVAC instructor at the local community college. The Carrier guy said that he's confident that the competition doesn't hold a candle to him in terms of quality of install as well as the professionalism and knowledge of the installers. I realize that option 1 might be a better unit based on it having a variable speed fan, but my gut is for some reason telling me to go the other way. Can anyone give me suggestions on which system to go with based on experience with either?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    OKLAHOMA
    Posts
    48
    This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

    You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

    Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 03-20-2013 at 05:38 AM. Reason: non AOP member

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    24,933
    dobbin

    This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

    You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

    Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Posts
    33,371
    Are they both doing the same thing? Intake pipe for furnace? Chimney liner if water heater left alone in a chimney? 2 stage thermostat? Any extended warranty?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    SW FL
    Posts
    5,985
    Nice efficient product.

    http://www.docs.hvacpartners.com/idc...9tp5a-04pd.pdf

    Is the size selected compatible with your A/C system? (compatible: provide the correct air flow)
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

    Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Are they both doing the same thing? Intake pipe for furnace? Chimney liner if water heater left alone in a chimney? 2 stage thermostat? Any extended warranty?
    Yes to all except 2 stage stat. Will have that installed separately in near future unless you recommend otherwise.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post
    Nice efficient product.

    http://www.docs.hvacpartners.com/idc...9tp5a-04pd.pdf

    Is the size selected compatible with your A/C system? (compatible: provide the correct air flow)
    I'm told that the size is appropriate.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Keokuk, IA
    Posts
    5,520
    I'm personally partial to Carrier. It's the same cabinet and burner system as the Infinity I believe, so the blwoer is very quiet. Actually the ID fan is suprisingly louder than the blower and airflow because it's so quiet. Definitely try and flip for the 2 stage thermostat. It will make allow the furnace to run as intended. Pulling a new thermoostat cable usually isn't that big of a deal. There are also thermostat models that use 3 wires, which could be equal to the cost of opening up walls or pulling new wire in some cases.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Posts
    33,371
    We've been A-S dealers for 21 years so I'll split the vote so far But either will do you fine if the installers are as good as they claim. I'd get the 2 stage stat soon as you can, I believe they are that important for comfort with a 2 stage furnace.

    NOW, you aren't comparing like products. The Carrier has a fixed speed high efficiency blower motor, probably a Genteq X13. The American Standard is a full variable speed which would normally sell for quite a bit more. If you wanted variable speed capability from Carrier it would be the Infinity 59TN6.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    SW FL
    Posts
    5,985
    Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    Actually the ID fan is suprisingly louder than the blower and airflow because it's so quiet.
    What does the above statement mean?

    What is ID Fan?

    What is "it's " in _ because it's so quiet _?
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

    Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    We've been A-S dealers for 21 years so I'll split the vote so far But either will do you fine if the installers are as good as they claim. I'd get the 2 stage stat soon as you can, I believe they are that important for comfort with a 2 stage furnace.

    NOW, you aren't comparing like products. The Carrier has a fixed speed high efficiency blower motor, probably a Genteq X13. The American Standard is a full variable speed which would normally sell for quite a bit more. If you wanted variable speed capability from Carrier it would be the Infinity 59TN6.
    When I told the carrier guy I was considering a variable a.s. unit he quoted me on the 59TN6 with infinity stat. I'm trying to figure out if the carrier variable is better than the american standard and if its worth the extra dough. I will say that these guys really have sharpened their pencils which makes my decision tough.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    DC Metro Area (MD)
    Posts
    3,350
    Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post
    What does the above statement mean?

    What is ID Fan?

    What is "it's " in _ because it's so quiet _?
    Probably referring to the inducer fan noise relative to the actual blower motor.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Posts
    33,371
    Now you are comparable on furnaces but having the Infinity control gives the advantage on features to Carrier.

    Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event