Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No Freon. Evaporative Coil blamed. Replace only coil, coil & condenser, or full?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ammoniadog View Post

You do know better now.
    This I do. I have all these 4-ton quotes. Ouch.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithGP View Post
    This I do. I have all these 4-ton quotes. Ouch.
    Then to me I don't think you have found the right installing company. It's not uncommon to see this with your current systems set up. Outdoor unit one size and coil and furnace another. Why I couldn't tell you but ones things still stays the same if the outdoor unit is a (3) ton no matter what's inside it want deliver more then 36,000 btu's or less due to the outdoor unit compressor.

Sure some manfactors have inside coil rating that can achive higher btu's for a system but often in air handlers being greater then the outdoor unit size that's on paper the truth is the unit since mismatched might not be delivering (3) tons of cooling? Going to a (4) ton just doesn't make sense at all.

A proper Load cal.! Without that they are all guessing including us to what size system needs to go in. An just because the unit might be 2 stage does not make it right to oversize. So before processing with any company ask for manual j. Which it appears you have but the while the numbers make sense to us to they to the installer? If the load cal. Is accurate it is only showing the home to need a (3) ton. So why they are suggesting a (4) ton I could not tell you. As per you your existing (3) ton did a good job of cooling the home! Know if a proper matched (3) ton was installed should do even better as the system should be rated with manfactors specs. No guessing any of your contractors can access this info from their manfactor of equipment.

Post Likes
    The company that just came out and completed the Manual-J suggested the 4-ton because of the equipment he was gonna install. He looked at some paper and it showed the numbers supported the Amana 4-ton. More factors to consider is that as stayed above this is the upstairs unit of 2 units in the home. The downstairs unit is fine for now. It is a 4-ton unit. Also, the old units are R-22 going to R-410a. I don't know if this is any factor at all.

I will definitely get another load cal and another evaluation of what I truly need now. I am VERY appreciative of everyone's help.

Post Likes
    they are quoting a 4 ton because there is more profit in it for them dont fall for the trap .if the 3 ton kept you comfy dont go bigger . also alot of companys use a outdoor temp in the load calc that you might see 2 or 3 times a year

Post Likes
    I've been reading the forums on wifi thermostats for my system. Initially, I visioned going with a Nest but there are so many other factors. Some system dehumidify and variable stage

Do companies have different options of systems they can install or will I be stuck with oned size fits all packages?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in